1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal experience with abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Sep 1, 2008.

?

Have you had personal experience with abortion

1. Yes, I had one

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Yes, I impregnated a girl who had one

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes, an immediate family member had one

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, I've never had one or made someone pregnant who had one

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  5. Had to make the choice, but decided to have the baby

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, if the anti-abortionists truly fundamentally believed that the fetusembryo is a human life, they would go out and shut down the abortion clinics by any means necessary.

Bombing and arson are serious crimes, but if you truly believe that scores, hundreds, thousands (or however many) innocent children are being ruthlessly slaughtered inside, it would be worth it to put a stop to it. The ends would justify the means.

The fact that 99.9997% of anti-abortionists do not do this indicates that regardless of what they may say, in fact they take no tangible actions in accordance with that belief. Basically, they just run their mouths.

2. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Starman: So your position is people who do not commit violent felonies to support their position can't really believe what they say? You just argued that a lack of abortion clinic bombings makes the people not doing the bombing insincere.

Your post may be the single most stupid thing ever posted on this site.
    Of course, you also might just be playing around. Which is pretty pathetic.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Still my favorite GP song, and that's saying a lot. I've got a live recording of Joe Jackson singing it solo at the piano that's even better than the original.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So, in other words, you're willing to stand there and allow dozens or hundreds or thousands of children to be killed, because you don't want to get into legal trouble?

In fact, you don't really believe it. And neither do the vast majority of the others.

And those that do, happily, get to face the legal consequences of their actions.

5. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Solid logic.
    I'm against the war in Iraq. But I guess you wouldn't know it since I haven't murdered any soldiers or blown up any army recruitment centers.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"All babies want to get borned."

You know, we scorn radical Islam, and with good reason. But say this: At least they're willing to give something for their beliefs.

Strange as it sounds, I think Starman's right. If you believe that seriously that those lives need to be defended, you should be willing to go to prison for it. If you truly believe that doctors who perform abortions are murderers, and that it's God's will that they die, you should carry out that action, no matter the consequences.

7. jps

jps Active Member

would venture a guess that the feeling wouldn't be that it's God's will that they die. think I recall something about that on the 10 comandments.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, I don't think it is either. Of course, since I don't believe in God, that's an easy conclusion to come to. I do, however, think there are anti-abortion types out there who do believe that.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think I've told this story before:

When I was 15, I was sitting in sophomore science class when a girl across the room turned sheet-white (she was Hispanic) and just about passed out. As she was taken from the room to go to the nurse, we could see she had been bleeding. Turns out she had recently had a black market abortion, and she just about died that day. There were rumors that she would never be able to have a baby after that, but I don't know if that's true.

That day forever cemented my opinion that abortion should always be provided in a safe environment with adequate medical care. The only way to ensure that is to make it legal.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

FWIW, my biological mother was 19 and unmarried and a college sophomore when she had me. I was adopted a few weeks after birth but I always think of the fact that abortion was legal in my home state when I was born (though, to be honest, I don't know how cheap or accessible it was circa 1970.)

That being said, I think abortion should remain legal, freely available and, most importantly, a shame-free experience. Not only for women, but for men as well. Seriously, if you're a single man having regular sex, it's pretty difficult to proclaim yourself as pro-life/anti-abortion. Either go get yourself a vasectomy or start saving up to financially support any potential mother of your child. Otherwise, it's just a lot of maudlin handwringing on your part.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The same commandments that God himself (herself?) violated numerous times in the Bible. Logic says there were babies that drowned during the Great Flood and burned to death at Sodom and Gomorrah.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I don't think this thread was intended to be a debate on abortion. It's probably the single most complex and polarizing issue that exists in this country. Let's just leave it at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted