1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Periscope

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by BB Bobcat, Apr 22, 2015.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I just discovered it. I see a lot of other sports journalists on it and I'm wondering who uses is and how?

It's really surreal to just click into someone else's periscope and just see some teenager girl saying hi to every random person who comes by.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Have not heard of it.

Sounds pervy.

I'm in!

Ace likes this.
  3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Periscope's a lot like Twitter was in its infant stages. People have it and have no idea how to use it. I've used it for postgame interviews and to kill time before games by giving a short video preview (which takes a good amount of prep work). It'll be huge when signing day rolls around.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think it's great for a reporter who doesn't want to do a one-hour online chat. You can sit there and answer questions as they get fired at you much quicker than they can be typed out.
    It's terrific for an informal setting. If I were a reporter trying to get quotes, take pics, ETC, I'd hate it.
    LOVE what MeanGreen said - it could be huge for signing day. I love it for smaller papers; if they can't send a reporter to an event that's on national TV, reporter can sit there and bullshit for it. Provides a "professional" take on something where the second screen will be available to whoever makes a bid on it.
    Could really see this taking off for people to preview upcoming stories.
    I experimented with it tonight and I think I have a grasp. Will find out more next week.

5. spikechiquet

My impression so far is that it's really hard to find stuff worthwhile..so yeah, like Twitter when it first started.
    I think the first thing they need to do is to break it down by language. I saw a lot of French, Arabic and others, so it's hard to navigate through those to be able to find something in English or Spanish (which are the only two languages I know, for example).

Although I did chat with some wanker in a Manchester pub about Wigan and ManCity soccer, so there is some fun aspects of it.

Journalists should eat this up though and make it their own, for sure.

A search function would be nice also. I could see hashtags becoming big with this also.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If I'm understanding it, you make a post and there's no archive of it? It's an impromptu live chat than can only be seen for a limited time?

7. spikechiquet

No, you can save it. It starts to save after you end the broadcast and then you can either let it save or stop it. It also gives you the option to save it to your phone as a video, so you could do the stream, then use an icloud app to save it and put it on a website to view later. At least it seems that way.
    I made two streams this afternoon to test it and didn't save either since it was just mundane stuff I was doing.

8. MeanGreenATO

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I went to give this a try and couldn't find it on Google Play. Is it just for Apple right now?

10. MeanGreenATO

Jake, unfortunately it's only on the iOS market. Apparently they're working on bringing it to Google Play soon.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

12. spikechiquet

So there is also Meerkat I am reading. But Twitter bought Periscope, so bye-bye Meerkat.

Draft saved Draft deleted