1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perhaps Best Tennis Article I've Ever Read...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tennis rivalries and why they are unique.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/magazine/the-fierce-intimacy-of-tennis-rivalries.html?_r=1&ref=sports

If you loved tennis like I did growing up with Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Evert, Navaratilova, do not miss the description of the moment in New Orleans between Borg and McEnroe in 1980. As an older person now, the intimacy of that moment is overwhelming.

A fantastic read. Thanks Mr. Gerald Marzorati.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, did not think that tennis interest, even retro interest, had slipped this far. If only Wozniaki and Sharapova played each other in the next 4 major finals.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

It would have attracted more interest if the writer had asked about Jimmy Connors' favorite TV show.

4. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I would have missed this, but I look forward to reading this over the next couple of days. Thanks for the heads-up, qtlaw. (And I hope you're still a tennis fan. I get frustrated when people say they were big fans during the Connors/Borg/McEnroe days, but aren't any longer. I wish I could get them to check out the game now.)

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What the Connors/Borg/McEnroe era had going for it was the contrast in not only styles but personalities as well. Just like Chrissie/Martina, which was a perfect contrast as well.

Now, Federer/Nadal is a little contrast, righty v. lefty; clay courter v. hard courter, but they are both essentially baseliners and its not as fun as serve and volleyer v. baseliner.

Most boring major final ever, Lendl v. Wilander at Flushing Meadow, 6 hrs., egads.

Draft saved Draft deleted