1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perceived bias

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NightHawk112005, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I root for the story.
    If that means Local High wins a title, then fine - I'll deal with it. Writing a championship story is better than one where they lost.
    If it means hoping Small School Prep wins their first lacrosse game in the program's history, fine - we did our best to get to games we thought they could win so they'd better do it while we're there.
    I don't root for my teams, per se, but I do root for the story. If it doesn't happen the way I'd prefer, then I move on and do my job - which is kind of the point.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's always going to be one school's fans who thinks the others get more love than they do. Even if you explain the reality of having only two bodies in sports when there's 10 games going on in different sports simultaneously at the same night and the coach (or his designated representatives) need to give us a call or e-mail after the game. There are days I feel like collecting the numbers of whining Podunk High fans and giving them to the whining Podunk Tech and Podunk A&M fans so they can have a group bitching session.

3. I certainly don't mind when people complain I have a bias against or for someone, because I know those complaints are off base. My worry is when I'm called biased and it's not a complaint.

Draft saved Draft deleted