1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Per Diem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OneMoreRead, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

2. We fall under the "don't go nuts" with the money category. We can stay in $100 hotels and they encourage us to don't just eat fast food.

When I went to Phoenix last weekend our payroll guy gave me my advance check and told me I didn't ask for enough money. Never heard that one before.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This rarely comes up since I'm at a non-daily and my travels outside the metro area are limited to region/state playoffs, but I'm given latitude. I don't do Taco Bell, but I don't do French Laundry. Chain per diem depends on destination, but it's generally in the $40-50/day range. No guidelines for hotel costs. I've had one hotel and maybe a dozen trips in two years that resulted in an expense report, and nobody has yet to say boo about it. So I'm fortunate.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My resume is coming to your shop shortly. Don't worry. I WILL find you... lol

5. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

I'd hate to see what a $55 hotel room looks like in many cities.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Often you can find something on short notice that's reasonable via Priceline. Otherwise, it's ugly.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

For those that don't have AAA, it pays for itself just based on the amount of money you save on hotels.

I doubt I ever spend more than $30 a day on food, but since I almost always stay at the Hampton Inn when I travel -- love those Hilton points -- breakfast is free.

I never eat anywhere on the company's dime that I wouldn't gladly pay for myself. I seldom go out to fancy meals when I'm paying, so I'm not going to do it just because the paper will reimburse me. At the same time, they have a travel budget so don't feel like you have to go cheap.

After all, if you don't spend the money this year, there might be some shrinkage in next year's budget.

8. Quite good. You should get out more.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I will, once the welfare check comes in.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll eat like that when my dad is picking up the tab, but not when I'm paying.

Give me a good burrito and a beer and I'm happy.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Whis is exactly why my paper has slashed travel this year, because we came in under our budget last year.

12. Ha ha ... I'll tell you exactly where it is. I'm sure there are a couple of people I would to replace them with you ... but when you hear the salary, you'll run. Fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted