1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Per Diem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OneMoreRead, Sep 18, 2007.

1. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I apologize if this is a DB.

For those of you who travel, what are your per diem rates for: Hotel (do you have to share a room?), food and car?

Managing budgets is crazy these days, but I can't help but feel like our traveling reporters are getting screwed. Where do we stand with the rest of the business? We're in the 100K-125K circ. range.

Hotel - $55 (must share room)
    Food -$35
    Car - $30

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The hotel, my boss is good with. We don't have to share rooms (well I don't, but I'm also the only female that travels, so maybe that helps).

Cars are reserved through the company, but we have some deal with Avis so we pay twice as much for a rental car as we should.

Food? We get $5 for breakfast, $8 for lunch, 17 for dinner. That's $30. And it's not per diem. If I only spend $8, I don't get to pocket the other $22.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Five bucks for breakfast? How many McGriddles can you eat on the road?

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Haven't traveled with the most recent places I've worked, but when I did it was similar to IJAG. Food was something like $7 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, $20 for dinner, no alcohol on the company dime.

With hotels, my editor was also cool. He told us not to go to the most expensive place in town, but to get a respectable place. We would usually go to mid-range chain that had some sort of free internet connection. Guys would share rooms.

Was the $55 for hotel per person or for the room? I was covering college football when I traveled and most hotels jacked up the price for home football game weekends to make more money, so what would be a $60 room in a bad hotel was now $100.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'd LOVE to have a jacked-up rate of $100.

I book a year in advance, and still pay upward of $150 sometimes. Try to get a room at a NASCAR race a month before, and the Motel 8 is charging $259 (if they have rooms left).

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Our paper has slashed traveling, but when we still get to go it is as follows:
    The cheapest hotel possible, but one that has wireless
    Drive your own car and get .32 cents per mile
    $25 per day for food (though, I was told by a higherup that we really get $30, but some people think we don't and no one is going to tell them different).
    Also, like IJAG, it is not a per diem. We expense everything at the end of the month.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

That's because at a NASCAR race, 90 percent of the fans view Motel 8 as the 5* hotel. It's the most popular place in town.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow - i don't question my people because they never abuse the system. in fact, i recently told one guy on staff he should start staying in nicer places. sure enough, he has.

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Hotel - $0
    Food -$0
    Car - $0.235 cents per mile. (The extra five is for good luck)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$30 a day is pretty brutal... It depends where you are, but that pretty much either forces you to skip meals or stick to the dollar menu...

Good luck eating on $30 if you have to eat in airports...

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We have a simple rule - be reasonable. Don't eat the $40 dinner every night but don't eat fast food every meal. There are days I only eat once or twice. And there are days I have a $10 breakfast, a $18 lunch and a $35-40 dinner. And no one says a word.

I once spent four days, three nights in NY. Total meals were about $120, with $66 of it in one meal at Smith and Wollensky's. That's way over the norm for one meal but the overall cost was reasonable, very reasonable.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that $55 hotel thing seems ridiculous. Hell, you can't get a Motel 6 for that rate in some cities.

I just stayed in a $119 hotel room, and my higher-ups don't have a problem with that, especially since it was just one night. I try to keep hotel rooms for football trips in the $89-$129 a night range, depending on where I am.

I'm sure if for some reason someone else came with me on one of my road trips, we'd split the room. That's how our ACC guys do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted