1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pepsi Not Advertising in Super Bowl Next Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 17, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

More bad news for traditional media as one of the biggest advertisers moves big dollars from TV to the web.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My dad worked for Pepsi for 33 years. That company literally funded my childhood. I worked in the Pepsi lab, making Pepsi, during a summer job in college. I am fiercely loyal as a customer (though Dr Pepper is my fave, it is distributed by Pepsi in most markets) as a result.

That said, good riddance. Pepsi ads have consistently sucked for time immemorial.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, b/c nobody's ever ignored an online advertisement before.

What a stupid stupid move. They'll be back on the Super Bowl in 2011.

4. YankeeFan

I used to buy advertising/media. In these times, I'd be hard pressed to make the case that a Super Bowl buy made economic sense at $3 million per 30 seconds.

Throw in high production/talent costs for a Super Bowl worthy commercial and you're looking at real money.

It will be interesting to see who follows their lead.

5. YankeeFan

Don't be so sure. Once those dollars are allocated someplace else, it will be hard to get them back.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why the hell does Pepsi need to advertise anyway?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Because nobody knows what the stupid new logo is.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Keeping the brand in the public eye. Rub from association with popular events. Introducing new product.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Stupid move. Ads are generally the most remembered thing about a Super Bowl

10. YankeeFan

Wait, that's a Pepsi logo? I thought they were Obama ads.

Side note: Tropicana (Pepsi owned) did a major change of their packaging a while ago (maybe a year?). Customers didn't recognize it in the grocery store. Sale plummeted. They changed it back very quickly. I'm told that people were fired over it.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tropicana thought the people behind New Coke would get it right this time.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good point, but if they think their visibility is going to increase by going online, they're crazy. They'll have to reallocate that $$$ to a better platform.

Draft saved Draft deleted