1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peoria cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, May 2, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The Peoria (Ill.) Journal-Star is the latest to offer buyouts. From what I understand, this story was the first some employees found out about the offer.

http://www.pjstar.com/php/index.php?/news/peoria_journal_star_offers_employees_voluntary_severance_package/

PEORIA—The Journal Star on Friday offered certain full-time employees a voluntary severance package.

In an announcement to staff members, Publisher Ken Mauser explained that the plan is designed to help the Journal Star offset rising expenses faced by newspapers throughout the country.

For business continuity purposes, the offer will not be extended to all full-time employees. Mauser said there is no “predetermined target for reductions.” About 220 employees are eligible for the package. The Journal Star currently has 281 full-time employees.

The move mirrors buyouts offered throughout the industry, including numerous metropolitan newspapers like the Chicago Tribune and the New York Times. The package includes one week of severance pay for every year of service. The maximum payout is 26 weeks. Medical benefits would continue through the payout period.

Mauser cited rising newsprint and health care costs as contributing factors, as well as the current economic climate.

“Although the Peoria economy seems to be holding up better than the rest of the nation, we are not immune from some of the rising costs which face the industry and nation as a whole,” the publisher said.

Not all employees who express interest in the offer will be selected. Final decisions will be based upon a variety of business factors as determined by the needs of the newspaper.

“We will see what the interest level is and from which departments before making any final decisions,” Mauser said.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Figured somebody might ask, so.......

JOURNAL STAR, PEORIA (PEORIA CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 65,320
    JOURNAL STAR, PEORIA (PEORIA CO.) SUN DLY 80,394
    JOURNAL STAR, PEORIA (PEORIA CO.) SAT M DLY 70,255

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

This is the first I heard of this ... and I am a full-time employee at the Journal Star. I am unsure if I qualify for the buyout. Not that I would take it anyway, given I've been full-time for less than five years.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well, that's a shitty way to find out ci. hopefully things work out for you.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I'm not too worried, actually. The JS handled the first set of buyouts really professionally, and I expect the same here. Nothing has been forced; I respect them for that.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who says SportsJournalists.com can't break news, eh??

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good luck to all of my cohorts in Peoria. Some good people there.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Same thoughts here.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I don't recall how Rockford and Springfield cuts were handled, but that may be a good indication of how Peoria's will go.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wfw.

Draft saved Draft deleted