1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Magazine: Jenner "transitioning into a woman"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CowboyCasanova, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The fact, then, remains that people will have gender dysphoria regardless of whether you "support" it or not. It's irrelevant if what we're talking about can't or shouldn't be "fixed."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Adopt? Serve in the military?

And, I'd have to look around, but I'm quite sure the "LGBT" label has been around for many years, well before 2009.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Didn't say that it hadn't been.

Sure, they can adopt. Sure, they can serve in the military.

4. YankeeFan

Conversion therapy is deeply controversial, almost unanimously opposed by the homosexual community, and there are proposals for laws to ban it.

But, we should try and convince transgendered people that they are just crazy, and give them some therapy.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't know.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Per Wikipedia, the first "LGBT History Month" in the U.S. was observed in 1994.

Before then, I'm pretty sure most people, including gays and lesbians, didn't distinguish between transgender and homosexuality.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

1994. That's close to when Gore invented the internet.

8. Dick Whitman

About a Boy - The New Yorker

Many therapists have begun to speak of even very young children as transgender (a category that few clinicians of past generations would have applied to them). And plastic surgery, tattoos, and piercings have made people more comfortable with body modification. In such a context, gender surgery in late childhood may no longer seem extreme. Because this change is happening so fast, and amid a flurry of mostly positive media attention, it can be hard to recognize what a radical social experiment it is.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not just that it's a radical social experiment, it's that it's conceivably some very, very bad medicine being overlooked (or brushed aside). Some of the research I've read suggests that around 20% of those who have the reassignment surgery wish they hadn't had it. Other stuff I've read suggests that the suicide rate (can't recall whether it's attempted or actual) for post-operatives is about the same as that for those who want the surgery (but haven't had it yet).

10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I'm not sure what YF's objection is, exactly. It is possible that homosexuality is not a mental illness, and that gender dysphoria is. It is possible that same-sex sex and same-sex marriage are healthy and normal and that gender reassingment surgery is not.

I don't understand why this is hypocrisy.

11. YankeeFan

I wouldn't recommend plastic surgery of any child.

But, again, I don't know where you've been.

The left has been advocating for sex ed for pre-teens. They've advocated for abortion and contraceptives to be made available to teens without parental consent.

Hillary Clinton's mentor, Marian Wright Edelman, of the Children's Defense Fund, has made an entire movement of "child's rights" which includes the "right" to have sex at any age.

This is the environment the left has created.

But, you want to draw the line here?

If a child knows he's gay at a young age, why do you think a child might not know which gender he identifies with?

12. Dick Whitman

Because they are two different things.

It is also possible that he may know he likes checkers, but not whether or not he likes Backgammon.

Draft saved Draft deleted