1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in the newsroom who loudly refer to a college team as 'we'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The people who use "we" are like a cat licking its asshole. They know no other way, but I don't want to watch.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you're using "we" in context of the team you're covering, you need to run a check.

If you're using "we" in the context of being a fan and you have no coverage responsibilities? Who cares?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Presumably an election has a little more importance than Wednesday Night Showcase. Does the entertainment writer get pissed if the copy desk gets in an animated discussion of Mad Men?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This discussion reminds me of a story John Feinstein told in one of his books.

Feinstein was working for the Washington Post in the late 70s, and it was the day of the NFL Draft, which, at that time, wasn't televised and was during a weekday.

At one point, Ben Bradlee, who was a huge Redskins fan, comes over and asks, "Who did we draft?"

Feinstein replied, "Hey Ben, I wasn't aware the Post owned a football team!"

Bradlee told him to go fuck himself and said if he didn't like it, he could walk out and not let the door hit him in the ass.

So yeah, even the gods of journalism have used the word, "We," for their favorite team.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You have restored my faith in this board, sir.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You mean my posts on abortion and Afghanistan haven't restored your faith?

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I find it hard not to slip and say "we" when referring to a sports team I root for, even though I have a cynical view of sports in general. It's the way everyone in my family talks, as well as most of my friends. I tried to avoid it, but now that I don't cover traditional sports anymore, it's a lot more enjoyable to have a beer and shoot the breeze about "my" teams and what "we're" doing this season.

And besides, professional sports don't really matter in the long run unless people identify with teams so much that they feel like part of the team effort. If you're paid to be an impartial observer, that's one thing, but if fans don't feel the same connection that leads many to use "we," then maybe the team is not important enough to the community that an impartial observer is necessary.

8. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

I've paid so much for my Cleveland Browns season tickets over the years, I feel like I can say "We" suck as much as I damn well want to.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I just do it when people get fired up about a team's decision. "We" didn't spend $214 million for Prince Fielder. Mike Ilitch did. Do you get free food for owning the team? No? Then it's not your team.

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Justin Beiber -- ALL the characters on YGG are scary, but I like that you picked that one.

11. allanjlewis

allanjlewis New Member

College teams are fine IF you graduated from the particular institution. I hate nothing more than random Duke fans who think it's the cool thing to do. Your alma mater is a part of yourself and is the reason you are in that job in the first place. Without the degree you probably don't have a job. You should be proud of them. When my school (newly transitioned to Division I) makes its first NCAA tournament whenever that may be I will be very adamant about it.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd rather work in a lively newsroom with some buzz over a quiet library environment where everybody is quietly clicking their keyboards.

Draft saved Draft deleted