1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in the newsroom who loudly refer to a college team as 'we'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm of the opinion I graduated from that school, and that's MY school. Thus, it's MY team. I don't, however, refer to Tennessee athletics as 'we', etc, but who would?

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

They're doing this during the work day?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, all the time.

If a game is on during the night shift, it's either "Yes!!" or "Fuckin' Bullshit" after every play.

The newssider cheerily perks her conversation during the day with Ole Alma Mater's Catch Phrase. (It ain't "Roll Tide," but it's just about as cutesy and aggravating.)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Go Rams?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What would happen in the newsroom if someone referred to a Republican primary victory as 'we'? Or the results of a Democratic caucus?

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Plenty have and will do so going forward, if anecdotal evidence is any indicator. And I don't know how many people used the first-person plural here, but there was plenty of "hooray for the good guys" reaction the night of the 2008 general election.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I assume the game is on in the Sports Department and you're not separated from them.

Otherwise, why the heck is it on?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have never used "we" or "us" to refer to any team I didn't play for.

I used to refer to Chase as "we" and "us" when I did my banking with them, but then we had a falling out, and I couldn't believe we could treat us so badly, and I joined a credit union. I don't use "we" with them. I can't go through that kind of pain again.

But they're great to me. I do root for them.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Our newsroom is kind of scattered/spread out over about a 30 x 60 foot space. About half the newsroom is separated into cublicles, the rest into rows of desks. One large teevee is visible to 2/3 of the room (news) and a smaller one on the "sports row."

The nonstop cheerleading carries to both ends of the room.

I actually sit on a desk at the junction point between sports and news

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't use it when referring to even my school nor do I get offended by it. I do kind of think "loser" to myself if another writer says it at a game. But in general, I don't give a hoot whatever someone else does.

As for fans, knock yourself out. Regardless of what players may think, they don't play for themselves or their teammates. They play for the fans.

The one time I do use it without exception and without apology is when it's a US national team (soccer, Olympics, etc.). If you've got the Stars and Stripes on your shirt, then you are representing me. When I wore my uniform with the flag on it representing We The People, I had no problem with people saying "we or "our."

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

University of Wisconsin = We = OK.
    Green Bay Packers = We = Less OK.

To me.

But I don't think I refer to the Badgers as "we" in the newsroom. Just learned not to, and never changed.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only acceptable use of "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Draft saved Draft deleted