1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in my office suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

So I work in a very small office, like six people. The news reporter has a god awful cough though. I mean GOD AWFUL. It's been going on, oh, 3 months or so now. I mean, just hacks up a lung each and every day. He's young -- like 25 (so am I) -- and has a number of other "weird" problems that make him crappy to share a small office with (S-H-O-W-E-R. Just try it, buddy. Just once. Also, are you going to leave that long black trench coat on until May? Because I haven't seen it come off since Sept.)

Anyway, I have to not only bring an Ipod and headphones, but crank it up as loud as I can just to have a chance of shutting out this guy. It is amazing. I just want to turn around and scream "FIX IT OR DIE ALREADY."

Crap, a co-worker even bought and left two bags of cough drops on his desk ... message doesn't appear to have been received, however.

So ... help me survive and tell me some of your worst office stories.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I actually had a similar experience at my first job at a weekly. Guy was much older, though. Think Milton from Office Space.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok not to defend your dirtbag coworker but do you work for a small shop that has shitty health insurance and doesn't give sick days?

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

No, it's a weekly, but we have a parent paper that's really good about that stuff — good insurance and everything. My boss was saying the guy can't actually be "told" to go to a doctor or anything though, at least not by the boss. He's not loaded (I wouldn't think), but I make enough to afford the doc if I really need it, so I'm sure he does as well. Not like he wastes any money on shampoo, either.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does he smoke? Because that might be the problem, I know during the winter months I get the big smoker's hack going for days on end, though I don't think I've ever had one for three months.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

He doesn't smoke tobacco. I can't vouch for anything else. I wouldn't use the term "pot head" or "hippy," but he totally has that blank stare. He's like a cross between a sack of potatoes, a hippy and a mold infestation -- covered by black coat.

I could go on for pages about his "journalistic" exploits, (a blurry photo from 9 months ago? Lets run it six-columns wide to fill this hole!) but this is strictly about his cough and how much it sucks to be near him.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pilot,

Guys don't go to the doctor. They go to the hospice.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

At a former job, I worked with a woman who was morbidly obese. I mean easily 500 pounds.

It wasn't glandular either. Every day, she come in with two filled grocery bags for her lunch.

On top of that, she was incredibly slow. She spend half the day in court, and would not turn in a three-graf staff report until 7-8 p.m.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Paper or plastic?

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Depended on where she went. Sometimes paper, sometimes plastic.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Also had trouble going to her left and shooting off the dribble.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two paper sacks would be impressive. Plastic ... eh, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted