1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People do the funniest things...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 14, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They closed the Harvey's around the corner from my office and the closest one is on Dixon Road out by the airport. Went there once and you'd think they were giving away burgers it was so busy.

2. It's weird: I'm the kind of guy who parks in the back of the lot to avoid the mass of cars and people near the store, but when my roommate goes on vacation, I love being able to park my car 50 feet closer to the front door.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, my mom had a handicap parking placard. Without fail, when we went to the mall at Christmas she'd spend 10-15 minutes driving around the lot waiting for a handicap spot to open up. Didn't matter if there was a spot open in the third row, or further down the front row, or that we could have parked five or six rows out and been in the mall by the time that handicap spot opened up. She HAD to have the handicap spot. It drove me up a fucking wall.
    Now that I'm grown and can park wherever I damn well please, I'll often see people waiting five minutes for someone to pack the trunk and back out, even though there's a spot open two cars further out. I park further out in the lot and just laugh as I walk past them.
    And if it's me they're waiting on? I take my time, put the cart in the corral, and adjust my radio before backing out.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I never back my truck into a spot. I just park far enough away so I can pull through the double opening.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

So you're the asshole who takes like five minutes to leave while i'm waiting to take your parking space.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love parking in the back, getting out and then walking past people who are still looking for a spot or waiting for the closest opening. :)

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Try all of the above when it's about 3 degrees out, and baby is very quickly running out of patience.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am told they make a hamburger a beautiful thing...

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Glad you saw the blue font that I couldn't add on my blackberry.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We have this thing named after my Aunt called the "Patty Spot". My Aunt, no matter where she goes, always gets the best parking spot.
    I have inherited this and will not stop until I get said spot.

Dr. J parks as far away as possible. I hate him.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never understood the need to back into a spot. To me, it seems harder backing into the spot than backing out, so why not just pull straight in?

Either way, at least those people are parking. What really makes me crazy are those people who just park at the curb and run in, or have a passenger run in, when there are parking spots available just a few feet away. I get it if the person going in has some kind of disability, but usually it is just simple self-importance.

Never mind that it makes it harder for everybody else to get in and out of the lot. Never mind that sometimes these people compound their asshattery by blocking a ramp, so people with shopping carts, strollers or wheelchairs can't get down. This doesn't really qualify as funny. More like rude and selfish.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife is handicapped, and we have a hangtag that I keep in my car. One time we went to Best Buy, pulled into a handicap spot and hung up the tag. I walk around to the trunk, and as I'm unlocking it some guy and his wife stop in front of me.
    The guy puts down the passenger side window and yells, "Excuse me! Are you handicapped?"
    I just open the trunk, pull out my wife's wheelchair and say "No, but my wife is."
    The guy's face went about eight different shades of red and he drove away. I think his wife slapped him, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted