1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penultimate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 14, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sacre bleu! Ergo, don't do it.

2. dooley_womack1

And what the hell is a penult? The new Kia model?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

A famous journalist (I don't remember who it was) told a story about his father reading one of his stories when he was a 15-year-old sportswriter for his local rag. He said his father had an eighth grade education.

Anyway, the kid used "alacrity" in a story and his father looked the word up. Then, the father said, "I see by the dictionary that alacrity means quick. Next time, say what you mean." According to the journalist, it took his professor an hour and a half to make the same point.

Don't try to wow people with an erudite vocabularity. If you're passionate about your subject, that will come through in your writing.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I'll defend penultimate. Yeah, I've never used it in a story, but to treat it like a cancer-stricken word is just silly. Look the damn thing up. People, especially newspapers, use the language like humans generally use their brains - that is to say, only a fraction.
    I'll repeat that I've never used it, but if I was trying to add gravity to a series of events, I might throw it in. Penultimate comes across a bit more suspenseful than next-to-last. Or, 'after this, there's only one more.'
    With all that said, it does fall into the sect of English that gets used when you haven't written a lot and you haven't done enough reporting - basically trying to put lace curtains over a broken window.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

That is what I thought it was at first. Like Papermate....too funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dooley_womack1

Nah, that'd be the ultimate pen. And the details of a story should provide the gravity, not some shopworn word.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Ok, fine. But then no newspaper can ever call a celebration (Bi)centennial, a plane amphibious, a player adept, or anything else that has a pretty direct connection - or sounds close - to Latin.
    Yeah, paint the picture with details, but I just don't get the decision to effectively strike it from the dictionary. It's not like the word has to be put in italics.
    And lest I start an argument, I agree that when casually thrown around, penultimate is a stupid word to use. Sticks out like a sore thumb. But I wouldn't totally rule out using it.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So I'm guessing nobody here likes "fortnight," either?

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Man, there goes my lede for the soccer game last night.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I can't think of any use I'd need it for, but for certain things, I think penultimate could work. Fuck, let the reader do some work. One word in 1800 stories isn't going to make them give up on newspapering.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I love fortnight and penultimate.

I think we do the reader a disservice if we think they are all drooling imbeciles.

Draft saved Draft deleted