1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pentagon can't account for 190,000 guns we gave Iraqis (sigh...)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

We are fighting them over there so that we don't have to fight them over here. In order to fight them over there, we must arm them over there.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

One of my buddies just changed his Facebook status to "Joe Schmoe is rebuilding infrastructure in Iraq so he doesn't have to do it at home."

Clever, I thought.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I feel better now.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You know, not being a military guy myself, I've often wondered. Basic training takes -- what? -- six months or so? Military types? Am I right?

So why in the name of Zeus' puckered sphiincter is it now going on five years in which Iraq has not been able to sport and army that we have funded, trained and supported? We keep getting these updates, like earlier this year when we were supposed to be enthused about the progress of having 90,000 Iraqi troops "almost ready" to step up. BFD. I think me and a couple of guys could train 90,000 pekinese pups given that same amount of time.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Army basic takes 9 weeks followed by advanced training (AIT) which takes anywhere from 6 weeks to a year depending on your job, or MOS. If you are a grunt it's 6 weeks; if you are an intelligence technician or something very advanced, it's way longer.

Training for officers is longer -- obviously -- 4 years for West Point or ROTC; I don't know for OCS. Plus about 5 months after commissioning to learn what branch you're in.

As for Iraqis, I think many of them are taking their training and using it to kill the other side, using their army status as cover. The Iraqi Army is throughly infiltrated on all sides.

6. My favorite part of the story:

"But the GAO said weapons distribution was haphazard and rushed and failed to follow established procedures, particularly from 2004 to 2005, when security training was led by Gen. David H. Petraeus, who now commands all U.S. forces in Iraq."

Now he's in charge of the whole thing and he'll tell us in September what a great fucking job he's doing.
    Jesus wept.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, I like a guy who can cut through red tape. Be positive, Fenian!

8. Wolverines!

9. cortez

cortez Member

I'm sure Fox News is all over this story

Draft saved Draft deleted