1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pennsylvania newspaper runs ad advocating Obama assassination

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 29, 2009.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

2. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

"Publisher John Elchert is quoted as saying, "It is unfortunate that it made it to press. The person who took the ad didn’t recognize the significance of the names. We canceled the ad and turned the information over to the authorities.""

Wow...yay for ignorance.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's hilarious that there are people out there dumb enough to let this stuff get by.

4. wow, a paper sold an ad!

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Walter: It probably was somebody on a classified ad desk who took a lot of ads and didn't recognize the common element.

I think the person taking the ad also deserves the benefit of the doubt, because people have compared Obama, in a favorable manner, to Kennedy and Lincoln.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think everyone who made it out of elementary school should recognize a common theme among Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy.

Maybe I'm wrong.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I can well believe the person who took this ad did not know the significance of those names.

The depth of ignorance in this country about our own history, and the complete lack of attention paid to it in schools (this has only gotten worse due to No Child Left Behind standards) is truly frightening.

Either way, sadly, this was probably just a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid mistake.

I think I'll go :'( :'( :'( now.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Did anybody read the comments after that article calling for the killing of white trash? Why do we in this business allow anonymous comments?? My god what a sellout piece of shit business we are in. These comments have no business being printed in a "professional" publication!!!

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You have people who don't even know who is the current vice president of the United States.

And I'm sure a lot of people have never heard of Garfield or McKinley.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I didn't see anyone up in arms when during the presidential campaign last fall when some folks were hanging Sarah Palin figurines in effigy.

It doesn't have to be in the form of a newspaper ad to make it a problem.

I guess which party and/or minority you belong to determines whether stuff like this is serious business or just a big joke.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Which is pretty much why the enlightened denizens of the political board are looking upon this as some sort of righty wingnut conspiracy.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't speak for McKinley, but I'm pretty sure everybody knows who Garfield is.

[​IMG]

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted