1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State picking on elementary school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 29, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/092007/09272007/319892/

Bleep you Joe Pa. As if a few notebooks with a logo that looks like yours is going to drain much-needed revenue out of Happy Valley.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, Penn State has to pick fights it can win anywhere it can get them.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The elementary school should just hire Lloyd Carr as an attorney. Penn State would settle before that sure loss ever got to court.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Trademark is a trademark. If you don't protect it, then what's the point in having a trademark?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I hardly think an elementary school with a similar logo is going to cause much trouble for PSU, business-wise.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Since when do grade schools have logos / nicknames?

I love these lines:
    Great, now when people dig up the capsule in 2100 they will see the logo and will create throw-back gear and this fiasco will happen again.

fluffier with a cap? seriously? Now when Smith Grade School kids kick their ass in red rover they will make fun of the cap.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You know how many elementary schools, middle schools and high schools have logos that are ripoffs or major college or pro teams? 99 percent of them don't cause a stink because it really isn't a big deal. I guess it is to Penn State.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, at least Penn State's legal team is more effective than its football team.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every single school in the nation has computers, and every single school in the nation has talented kids who could probably whip up some kind of school logo. Let them do it.

If your high school (or grade school) can't come up with a logo, colors and fight song of its own, you're pretty piss-poor.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I guess this is what we get for cutting funding for the arts.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Gotta agree with Oz here. What kind of precedent does it set if you knowingly allow someone to infringe on your copyright? It doesn't matter who is using it. If you don't protect it, you'll lose it.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My high school and grade school had their own colors, nicknames, fight songs and logos.

In our HS conference, fight songs included Notre Dame (2), Wisconsin, Michigan and "There'll Be A Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight."

WTF?? :D ::) :D

Draft saved Draft deleted