1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State Penalty Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 23, 2012.

?

What do you think of the Penn State Penalty?

1. Too harsh

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Too lenient

21 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. About right

42 vote(s)
    52.5%
  4. NCAA had no business getting involved

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. NCAA should have waited

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's just football. College students should understand there's more to life than what they do on a field. In any case, those who don't have a future in the NFL or CFL should have realized that fact already.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have mixed feelings. I wanted the program to get the death penalty, but I'm glad the $60 mil will be given to charities... But that's one year's worth of football revenue for the school. I think they should have suspended the program for a year and added that to the current sanctions.

Remember when people were talking about how devastated USC was going to be from the Reggie Bush sanctions? Yeah, well, the Trojans are a national title contender this year.

I don't think it's going to be nearly as devastating as people think.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If the NCAA wants to start handing out penalties for matters that don't pertain to its rules, it's going to have to hire 2,000 people for enforcement and there will no teams eligible for postseason play.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Penn State football needed to be stripped of all that it had accumulated the past 14 yeas (if not more) while the administrators ignored that a pedophile was in their midst.

The program needed to be torn down because PSU should not have been allowed to continue to reap the benefits of its football 1st mentality.

The innocent "student-athletes" still have the opportunity to work towards a degree at PSU without restrictions. Academically there is no change. Isn't that what the goal supposed to be?

Football wise, you have the same coaches and the same facilities. No change there. Oh wait, you lose scholarships and you lose the right to play one extra game.

If that makes you want to leave, fine you have that option. Don't complain otherwise, you are showing that your priority was to win, not study.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Kind of like how reporters and editors get laid off because of financial blunders by upper management? I'm pretty sure you don't see a lot of "oh well, that's what happens when you're part of a team" arguments on the journalism topics board.

I don't think you don't punish a program at all because of it, but let's not act like there's nothing wrong with collateral damage either.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are a scholarship football player at Penn State right now you are guaranteed that the rest of your education is paid for as long as you stay eligible, whether you play or don't. No other student-athletes outside of the service academies have that guarantee.
    They shouldn't look at the NCAA and wonder why they did this to them, they should look at their former coaches and administrators.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I didn't feel too bad when Notre Dame cut wrestling when a guy from my high school was a freshman there. He was smart and took the free education.

8. turski7

turski7 Member

I like the monetary fine. I think the NCAA should, from this point forward, hit schools who violate bylaws with a fine in addition to any penalties. Since money is all the schools care about, then hit 'em where it hurts.
    I thought the scholarships and postseason ban were a bit over the top. I would've been fine with USC-like sanctions, but the NCAA took advantage of Penn State because PSU had no argument to stand on. PSU has to take anything thrown at them and like it. It's as much about PR and grandstanding as it is about morals and ethics for the NCAA. They just jumped on the bandwagon.
    Hell, they didn't even do their own investigation. Just copy/paste from the Freeh Report and they were done.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think the NCAA felt it needed to double check Freeh's work.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Kid keeps his scholly for three years without playing football or transfers without recourse. You really call that collateral damage?

Draft saved Draft deleted