1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State Latest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

See what you did, Stoney? Now I have to agree with YGFKM.

I don't know how anybody can read the new coach's comments and think the lesson has been fully learned. Sorry, nobody speaking for the university should be talking about punching back this quickly. Not if you are serious about changing the culture.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One giant leap backward in "changing the culture":

[​IMG]

http://www.whosay.com/darrenrovell

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Brian Bosworth agrees.

[​IMG]

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They're doing quite a nice job of ensuring that they're one of the most hated fanbases for a long period of time, though it is nice to see their true colors shining through. Quite a few PSU alums in my circle of friends and family have had a mindset of, "Man, I feel bad for the victims and what happened to them is horrible and Sandusky's a monster.......but, this could reeeeally screw up the program." Even in the face of child abuse, King Football wins out.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I have no idea why you're addressing this point at me. I wasn't speaking about the coach's comments, I was merely addressing the flawed analogy.

I completely agree that O'Brien's "punch back" comment was brain dead stupidity. But, of course, that's likely because he's simply in way over his head dealing with stuff, O'Brien is merely a newbie first year football coach trained only to be a football coach--no way was he prepared for his first ever head job to be such historical powderkeg situation. "Time to punch back" are words that might've worked for that locker room pre-game pep talk to his players, but jeez was it ever a dumb thing to say in a media day public statement right now.

But the fact is O'Brien was nowhere near State College when the bad stuff happened. He deserves scorn for nothing more than some poor word choice.

6. outofplace

Wow, I really don't think it is hard at all to see why I directed this at you. In your previous post, you argued that the problem was not ongoing at Penn State. YGFKM responded by questioning that notion and I agreed with him, using O'Brien's comments of evidence that the issue of football being too high of a priority at Penn State is very much ongoing.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I've no interest in another dumbassed pissing match with you, oop, but once again, your comprehension skills fail you. The harm that I suggested was not "ongoing" at PSU was the molestation/cover up, nothing more, and only in speaking to the flaws in the poison factory analogy.

That has nothing to do with O'Brien's comments. The part of the prior column addressing his punch back comment I basically agree with. It was only the flawed analogy at the end that I questioned.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Silas Redd "strongly leaning" towards transferring to USC.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8215271/sources-penn-state-nittany-lions-rb-silas-redd-strongly-leaning-transfer-usc-trojans

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Joe Paterno could have blown up Independence Hall after stuffing it full of kittens and puppies and there would still be idiots more worried about the program.

That's not the fault of football. That's the fault of the percentage of society that are brain-dead morons who attach themselves to anything successful - be it a sports team, a celebrity, politician or a fucking TV show - in order to feel better about themselves.

You can't teach those people perspective and they always get more attention than people who are smart enough to understand the situation.

10. outofplace

That's funny. Let me try to explain this again so even you can keep up.

You are arguing that the harm is done. Certainly. Sandusky isn't molesting anybody else and at least some of the people who covered up for him are either dead or at least gone from the university.

But O'Brien's comments suggest that the environment that created the problem is still there. That is the poison that continues to be a threat. The reactions of current Penn State players and other students also make it seem like the culture still needs to change. I assumed that you were bright enough to understand that. I'll try not to overestimate your intelligence next time.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The first shoe drops. Safety Tim Buckley blows town to return home to play for NC State.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Penn State deserves all of the scorn it's getting, but let's be honest. There are at least three dozen colleges all across the country (maybe more) where the football uber alles mentality is just as powerful and just as corrupting as it is in Happy Valley. And every single one of them are whistling past the graveyard over what's going on with Penn State.

Anyone who thinks Penn State is the only college where those in charge would put the well-being of the football program over the welfare of a few scattered kids is naive. I'm not suggesting that other schools have a Sandusky lurking in their midst, but if they did, I'm not confident their response would be much different from that of Paterno & Co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.