1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State Basketball Writer- State College, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1529264

Company: Centre Daily Times
    Position:
    Seeking Basketball Writer for College Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    October 22, 2013
    Job ID: 1529264

Description:

SPORTS WRITER

The Centre Daily Times, in State College Pennsylvania seeks a versatile individual to serve as a beat writer for the Penn State men's basketball program and other sports. If you are capable of handling a wide variety of responsibilities and can write with personality and passion, we'd like to hear from you. The successful candidate will report and write for both the newspaper and its Web site, CentreDaily.com and assist with other office duties.

A bachelor's degree and one to two years of professionally covering collegiate sports is preferred. Layout experience is a plus.

As part of The McClatchy Company, the CDT offers a full range of employee benefits for full-time employees, including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, dependent life and long-term care insurances; vacation time, holidays and other paid time off.

The Centre Daily Times is one of more than thirty newspapers owned by McClatchy. We were named best newspaper in its class in Pennsylvania for 2012. How can you help us do even better through this key position in the newsroom?

Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and non-returnable clips to:

Centre Daily Times
    Attn: Karen Mrsa
    3400 East College Avenue
    State College, PA 16801
    or email kmrsa@centredaily.com

The Centre Daily Times is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Drug Free Workplace Employer

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Salary: $25,000 to $30,000.

For a Big Ten beat. Plus other sports. And layout. And "other office duties."

For a "key position in the newsroom."

3. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Welcome to Journalism in 2013. If you don't like the pay, get out of the business.

4. Riptide

Fetch me a beer, newbie.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

1. FWIW, quality of life in State College on $30K is much better than it would be in many other places.

2. Last I checked, you don't travel.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Last few times CDT has posted jobs 20-25K has been listed pay, so this is a step up. Could be very close to 30 for the right candidate. It isn't that big a paper on the circulation scale, but I'd have to agree with Wicked on the cost of living.

7. Riptide

If you're young and building your career, go for it. But you're getting played on salary.

If you interview well, try to drive the salary up. The listed range can be a starting point.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Perfect job for people who don't like a loud work environment since Bryce Jordan Center can be as quiet as a library during games.

9. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Huh? Are you assuming that because I don't post much that I am new?

Is this some inside joke?

Facts are facts my friend, that is what the job pays. Take it, do well, move on to higher pay someplace else, or don't.

This is a small local paper, this is what you get, stop being obtuse.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

11. Riptide

I moved on to higher pay in the 1980s, newbs. That's kind of my point.

If you're good enough for a Big Ten beat, you should get more than $14 an hour.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Faulty reasoning. The fact that State College happens to have a Big Ten school doesn't exactly make it a journalism mecca. Lots of state colleges are located in out of the way places. And there are lots and lots of good reporters covering smaller schools for small and mid-size papers.

The premise that the best reporters always are working for the biggest outlets simply isn't true. I've crossed paths with guys (and gals) working at shops 3 or 4 times bigger than mine who weren't anywhere near as good as I was. Just the way things are.

Draft saved Draft deleted