1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins-Sabres outdoors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 1, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ryan Miller, one of the best goalies in the game and an American.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I couldn't remember his name.

He played in the Michigan-Michigan State outdoor game, or so they said earlier in the boardcast.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yes, he did. Conklin and Laraque played in the Habs-Oilers outdoor game.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

30 degrees ABOVE zero is not cold! [/typical cold weather girl rant]

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Geez. Ryan Miller could have just sat there and built a snowman during the second period for the action he got. ZERO second-period shots from the Pens.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The NBC broadcast couldn't be more amateurish.

And changing sides at the 10 minute mark of the third? Laughable. How about playing four 15 minute quarters, since Bettman and the network want this to be football on ice.

7. sportschick

I don't mind the changing sides in this instance, since it's to try to balance out the weather issues.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If they're going to play outdoors, then they should know there will be weather issues. To change sides midway through the third? Ridiculous. Just slap on an exhibition tag on this game and be done with it.

9. sportschick

I think you're just trying to find stuff to bitch about today.

Doesn't bother me, and that's one way of dealing with the weather issues.

I'm sooooooooooo sorry that you are unable to enjoy the game because they're doing things differently, because you seem to be trying to suck any enjoyment that others might be getting out of the game.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

NBC's air crew has changed quite a bit ... dumping Clement, Ferraro & Hull, replacing them with Costas & Milbury ... the between-periods stuff has dropped off significantly in quality. This has been a bizarre game, too ... with weather conditions factoring in.

True to the occasion, I get this in a snowy picture. The local NBC affiliate kicked this game over to their low-power all-weather station. What's on the regular station? Montel, Dr. Phil & Oprah (all moved up an hour to accommodate the NBC broadcast of Seal on Ice). The local NBC affiliate is about to get a really nasty letter from me, too, although they've conveniently left any and all links to contact station management off their website.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hockey "purists" rank right up there with golf "purists." ;D :p

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I love my hockey as much as the next Canuckistani. And there things about the game that I hate, thanks to Bettman's vision.

Howevern this game has been a lot of fun to watch. I wish I was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted