1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins Arena Deal Done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dude, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I dont think the investment bankers that had re-located to Charlotte gave one half of a fuck when the Hornets left town. Enough with the economic impact and "quality of life" stuff. That's nothing more than public relations spin. Someone tell me about how the quality of life has decreased in Los Angles by them not having an NFL franchise to rape them of PSL money and season tickets annually? Pittsburgh's not gonna gain corporation one because the Penguins are staying. They'll only do that when they can put together a package similar to what the Pens are getting for corporation one, which is something that they have yet to do. These fools couldnt decide for the longest time whether or not to kick in cash for a new US AIrways hub a couple of years back hen USAir employs significantly more with significantly better salaries which means they pay significantly more taxes.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Los Angeles doesn't have quite the same needs as Pittsburgh. Lousy comparison.

Again, argue the corporate side all you want. I don't think the Pens are a draw, but losing them would be a negative in terms of perception of the city.

More importantly, that perception is damaging in the area that Pittsburgh is struggling most with -- dwindling population. It's a very public sign of the city's failings as the team leaves and it is one Pittsburgh can't afford.

And if it isn't financial impact or quality of life, please tell me why anybody in Pittsburgh fought to keep the team at all? These theories should be...interesting.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Absolutely agree. Granted, economists can make the numbers do all the tricks they want in terms of economic impact, spinoff, etc., but it's there. Do you think Pittsburgh is going to spend $290 million on a new arena as a monument? Will the building build itself? Do you think the bars, restaurants, hotels and so on won't benefit from 20,000 folks coming to see the Baby Jesus 60 or so nights a year?
    Plus, it gives the city an identity. OK, they've got one with the Pirates and the Steelers -- moreso with them, I guess. But he's Sidney Crosby of the "Pittsburgh Penguins" when he's on commercials and the Tonight Show and rewriting records 20 years from now -- not the Kansas City Penguins or Pirates or IceTheives or whatever they would have been called.
    And suddenly, Mario wants to hang on to them? He's not stupid. He's got a goose that's laying golden eggs.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I am not in favor of taxpayers picking up the bill on new arenas in theory. I don't think it is appropriate at all and Pittsburgh has had enoughfinancial troubles as it is.

That said, if the city and state hadn't found a way to come up with these funds, the Steelers would be the only game in town once this current hockey season ended.

Draft saved Draft deleted