1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pee Wee's Playhouse

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Precious Roy, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

So I'm watching Adult Swim last night, and the Playhouse comes on. Cool, I thought, I haven't watched this show since my youth and wanted to rekindle the fond memories of sitting on a Saturday morning hiding out from farm work and watching Pee Wee and the crazy shananagans and goings-on of the Playhouse and who do I see but a young Lawrence Fishburne as the cowboy. In the credits he is credited as Larry.
    Well this sent energy throughout my body as I started calling friends who love Morpheus (sic) and we all were staggered by the revelation.

This brings me to the question I had as the credits started to roll. What other "big" actors got thier start on small shows and small parts?

Just an interesting mind-wasting conversation that will get our minds off the pains of work. ;)

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Morgan Freeman on "The Electric Company" springs immediately to mind.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wasnt S. Epitha Merkeson of L&O on Pee Wee's Playhouse?

4. Precious Roy

An Adult Swim site also says Phil Hartman was a member of the cast, but I have yet to see him.

5. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Yes, the chica from Law & Order was a postal carrier, I believe.

On the topic of big names, small shows ... how about George Clooney on "Facts of Life" or Leonardo DiCaprio on "Growing Pains" ... not that either of those shows was small

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

George Clooney was also a first-season character on Roseanne.. was their boss at Wellman Plastics....

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

8. Precious Roy

Na-Noo, Na-Noo Mother f'er

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

[​IMG]

Scolari, you have a problem.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

[​IMG]

Thought 21 might nab this one....

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pee Wee's Playhouse: The theme song was sung by Cyndi Lauper, but is listed in the credits by her real name, Ellen Shaw

12. Precious Roy

Wasn't the set designed by Rob Zombie as well, or is that just urban myth?

Edit: Rob Zombie aka Robert Cummings was a production assistant on the Playhouse, so what I have heard is an urban myth.

Draft saved Draft deleted