1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedro Martinez retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Boston fans of a certain age were spoiled watching Larry Bird, then Pedro and now Tom Brady.

Not sure any sports town has been that blessed.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

His 1999-2000 seasons have got to be two of the best back-to-back seasons any pitcher has ever had.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seconded, in every way.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The 90s kind of sucked for the most part for Boston sports fans. (Yes, I realize Drew Bledsoe had a few good years.) I can take solace in that.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Gooden in 1985 was the best pitched season of my lifetime, I would put Pedro's 1999 season second.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Except Pedro's 2000 was better than both of those.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Montreal...Patrick Roy, Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, Ken Dryden. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is Pedro and Koufax by a good margin as the two best pitchers I have seen in my life, and who I think was better flips back and forth on an almost daily basis.
    From a selfish point of view, covering Pedro was just a blast. It is my fond hope to live long enough to cast my HoF ballot for him.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

New York: LT, Jeter (!), Mariano, Messier, Gretzky (for a short while), Gooden, Piazza.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, Jackson, Ewing, Frazier

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to a more modern era, although Ewing would certainly fall in there.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We were blessed to watch Ewing?

We must have been watching different players.

Draft saved Draft deleted