1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peavy has five teams in mind for trade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He has a full no-trade clause, but might waive it for a deal to the Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Cardinals or Braves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3649201

Braves seem like the best fit, because they have the top-level prospects to trade. But it might take Tommy Hanson and Jordan Schaefer or Jason Heyward to get him.

By the way, Peavy's under contract until 2013, with an option for 2014.

I'd hate for the Braves to give up any of those guys (especially Heyward), but you don't get Peavy for nothing. The though of Peavy and Jurrjens at the front of the rotation for the next five years has me smiling ...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No Nats?
    F him.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe if they fire Acta and bring willie aboard!

And the Padres trading Peavy now, one year after he won the Cy and one year after they inked him long-term, is stupid panic on an epic scale.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Randolph for Acta, May of 2009. Probably right around my birthday.
    Kill me now.

5. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Imagine Oswalt and Peavy anchoring the Astros' rotation. The two country boys co-own a ranch in Michigan and are hunting right now. The only question would be who would wear No. 44. Well, that would be Oswalt, but Peavy wears it for SD, too.
    Unfortunately for the Astros, they likely don't have enough prospects to trade.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

braves have been screwing people over with their can't miss trade prospects for years.
    George Lombard comes to mind right off the bat. Andy Marte also comes to mind.
    when it comes to braves prospects, GMs seem to be enamored with an upside that never really pans out.
    that's why i think peavy will end up with the braves.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, anyone? But that was the Schuerholz regime. I'm not convinced Atlanta's farm system is stocked as well as others seem to think, but Heyward is legit. Schaefer? Meh. Dude is not a power guy, which the Braves sorely need. He'd be a great fit in Petco, though.

8. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Jon Heyman at SI said this is all part of the Padres' owner's divorce settlement; he needs to slash payroll to lower the value of the team.

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Cardinals won't trade for him. They tend to stay away from big trades and signings the last few years. I'd love to see him end up there, though. Peavy, Carpenter and Wainwright? Damn that'd be a helluva rotation.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd like to see him with the Braves. Schaefer can go. Anderson seems to have earned the spot in center.

Peavy sure as hell won't be wearing 44 in Atlanta.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I totally agree with you, but George Lombard? Braves traded him to Detroit for Kris Keller, who never played a game for Atlanta.
    What about Juan Cruz, Dan Meyer and Charles Thomas for Tim Hudson? Or Melvin Nieves for Fred McGriff?
    Schafer is a can't-miss now, but is a year away from being a guy with the potential to be a fourth outfielder. HGH bust exposed him, and he's not the best teammate (something the Braves tend to value). It'll be him and Hanson for Peavy. Gives Braves a front-three for the future in Peavy, Jurrjens and Morton.

12. If you're the Dodgers, do you give up Kershaw? How much would be needed after that? Is Peavy even the 3rd-best SP in his division right now? What's his injury history? From the little I've seen of him, he's big and tall and has an awkward delivery.

Has anybody here ever dealt with him on a personal basis?

Draft saved Draft deleted