1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman: Zito becoming a douche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

OK, douche is my word, but that's the impression from this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/070627

The gist: Jeff Pearlman says Barry Zito is not the same person he (Zito) was back in 2000. Zito is far less laid back and way more image conscious than Pearlman ever thought he would be.

I've liked Zito ever since I read an article about him in SI, back in either late 2003 or 2004. I dug and agreed with a lot of the views he expressed in that article. So I was wondering if anyone had any insight into if this is true (Jones, obviously, might)?

I was also wondering if Pearlman's assertions are true because Pearlman never makes mention of having spent any time with Zito recently, as he did back in 2000. I was wondering if impressions were based on things he's been reading or has observed from afar or just in passing.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I say this with all the respect in the world for Jones, who has had more access to Zito than I could dream of with just about anybody. But I stopped buying the bohemian act once he hired Boras. Yoga and meditation and inner peace looks ike a load of bullshit when you're going for every last cent.

That said...I'd take this article more seriously if it didn't quote unnamed A's officials badmouthing Zito. Gee why would they do that?

And Zito doesn't say much of anything to the daily writers covering the team? That only makes him like *doing the math in my head* 680 or so other big leaguers.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is all you need to know:

Yeah, I'm shocked that Zito changed from being the laid back rookie to a star worried about his image. Especially when he was The Guy in Oakland for two, three years.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Scott Boras must die.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I second that notion. Why not get him & Bonds in a room together, then blow it up.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't wish death on anyone. But I wish he would vanish from the sport.

Then again, we would only complain about the next Boras.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wish death either, but let's be honest. We have a picture of him, with a target for us to throw darts (or baseballs) at.

The next Boras? It's Rosenhaus and no one else, if you don't count the crazy ass Poston brothers.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

After the way the TO thing was handled, would you really want Rosenhaus as your agent?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Excuse me, but at what point in the piece of shit that he passed off as a column did Pearlman ever indicate he has talked to or even attempted to talk to Zito at all in the last year or two or three or anytime since he was a "still obscure up-and-comer?"

I know nothing about Barry Zito as a person, other than I'm glad the Mets didn't waste $120 million on him.

But what is the great pompous ass Pearlman's basis for anything he wrote in this "column?"

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, if John Tucker must die, what makes Scott Boras any better than him?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why did he show up on the JTO board?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hahahah that was really random and really funny.

If Boras starts hooking up with my side saddle, I'll wish death upon him. But for no other reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted