1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman: 'Press conferences suck'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DietCoke, Feb 8, 2011.

1. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

It will be interesting to see what readers think about a sports writer "whining" about having a privileged seat inside the circus:

http://www.jeffpearlman.com/the-suckiness-of-being-a-sports-writer/#comment-11214

I can only tell you that it is a painfully horrific and soul-sucking experience, akin to coating one’s own body in cheese spread, then unleashing 532 rats.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's still right.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

531 rats, that I can take. But 532??

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Maybe a PR person who plans press conferences for a living will go to Jeff's house and ask him if that's what he really meant

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was prepared to hit him for the "whinyness for getting to do something many would give a week's pay for," but I agree: Hard to argue, and it was brief enough that it didn't wear on you too much, like "enough already."

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did I miss something with that Villanova press conference? Because, boy, I've endured worse than what I just watched there.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was at a Fourth of July BBQ a year or two ago, and a friend said: "So why'd you leave the daily beat?"

I told him basically everything Pearlman wrote here. And I said, "I know, I know. Dream job."

And he said: "Fuck that. That seems like the most boring thing in the world. I don't think it's glamorous at all."

I wanted to hug the guy.

I talked to someone who covers a major, major government beat for the New York Times, and he told me that the press conference/pack reporting that goes on there is just as soul-sucking.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Somebody tell Jeff being an out of work journalist sucks, too.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The overall point is fine, I suppose.

But I want to pose this question because, to some extent, I always found it sociologically interesting: Do you or did you ever get perturbed by the reporters whose questions were *always* too good for the press conference, the ones who needed an aside after nearly every presser?

10. Dick Whitman

Should out-of-work steelworkers also be required to rhapsodize about how great their gig was?

I don't think that Pearlman meant any disrespect. There are good and bad aspects to every job. I remember being single and lonely after break-ups. But I still realized that there were aspects of the relationship I didn't like.

11. Dick Whitman

Yes. A thousand times yes.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't so much, but I'm the kind of person who takes up other people's causes, so I put a fly in this reporter's ointment for about three straight weeks, requesting a simultaneous aside with them to ask the same kinds of middlebrow, extraneous questions they were. Problem solved. And it was a problem, in the sense that the coach was beginning to reserve even OK answers for the "second interview," which meant other folks were missing out for their lack of selfishness.

Draft saved Draft deleted