1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman on Rocker story, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Jeff Pearlman this month wrote in Penthouse of all places a look back at his infamous SI story on John Rocker.

Oddly, at the same time peers repeatedly congratulated me for such a big story, I was miserable. Throughout the league, players and coaches treated me as a leper. Will Clark, the Orioles’ loud-mouthed first baseman, chewed me out in front of the entire team. The media relations director for the Los Angeles Dodgers told me not to bother entering their clubhouse. Kerry Wood, the Cubs hard-throwing righty, stared me down and said, “No way I’d ever talk to you.” There were whispers and taunts; threats and rants. Here I was, living my dream job, only it had become a nightmare.

Oh, and I didn't see it in Penthouse. The whole thing is on Jeff's blog:

http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=3277#comments

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Really good read, Jeff.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I remember the game in 2000 when the Braves were at Shea, after Rocker apologized.

In that game he pitched a 1-2-3 inning, and as he walked off the field, more than 50,000 cursing every fiber of his being, I was conflicted.

On one hand, I stand on the other side of everything John Rocker represents as a human being.

And yet, the baseball junkie in me was happy for him as he walked off the mound toward the dugout amid the cacophonous hate; the way he kept his composure even though a thousand volcanoes were erupting in his mind, body and soul. Oh, he smirked, every so slightly, and why not? I was really impressed that he made that long walk back to the dugout without incident; because he could've gone off the deep end one way or the other.

In the million baseball moments I've come to love over the decades, Rocker's 1-2-3 inning that night, and his calm walk back to the dugout, ranks way up there. Man, it was intense.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I guess Waylon only reads Penthouse for the articles. ::)

Seriously, Jeff, that's a great read.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is how personally Pearlman takes Rocker's plight, yet still harbors resentment (who wouldn't after getting the antisemitic note from mommy Rocker?). It's easier to nail the human aspect of others than ourselves, but Pearlman does it quite well here. Comes off a little smug, but I guess anything would when you're so far in the right.

6. Do you think Penthouse would be ticked that Pearlman put the whole thing on his blog?

That was interesting.
    I liked the Joe Sambito conversation. I remeber when he pitched with the Astros.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It was sent almost a decade ago, I think it's OK. Just because she said don't share this, doesn't make it off the record forever. And he didn't print it verbatim anyway.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I thought it was good.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Meh. [/crossthreading]

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dear Penthouse: I can't believe this actually happened. I was riding the 7 train ....

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The sender of the e-mail does not have the unilateral right to declare it off-the-record.

EDIT: The letter, in this case.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clear that Jeff ruined 2 careers with that story - his and Rocker's.

Draft saved Draft deleted