1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam Twenty on PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Vedder's whole "Into the Wild" soundtrack is an eargasm in itself. The issue I always had with Pearl Jam is that I felt the music became more diluted as each record passed, with "Ten" boasting great songs and great lyrics and great beats. But I don't care, I still love all the Seattle music -- PJ, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains...

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm waiting for the AIC doc. That's a film I'd be interested in.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The story of Layne Staley's last few weeks is sad.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm pretty sure it's more than a few weeks.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

6. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

The Frogs ... now that's one fucked up band.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Mizzou, there was footage of this in the "doc." Was that the only occurrence, and you were there, or was this a stunt that Vedder pulled more than once?

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

And getting back on the subject of the thread title, the supposed PBS "doc," I just watched it, and as a huge Pearl Jam fan I loved all two hours of it, but as a so-called documentary, it was just a two-hour music video with just some loose context here and there.

Typical Cameron Crowe. It was all quick-flash video bursts interspersed with music, a soundtrack wondering (or not giving a shit) if some coherent story-telling would actually happen. Best example was "The Drummer" sequence in which Crowe LITERALLY compares the drummer situation to Spinal Tap, and does it in less than two minutes of a two-hour production.

Fuck Cameron Crowe. But bless him for producing this, for I am a fan of the band. Sounds contradictory. But fuck him.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How is what you described "typical Cameron Crowe"?

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Love The Frogs! One of Milwaukee's finest!

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Just watched this (thanks for the heads up, board!). I've been wanting to for awhile, but I wasn't able to catch it anywhere until the PBS airing.

"Ten" was the first CD I owned. It makes me feel truly ancient to know it's 20 years old now. And not terribly bad about being ancient to see that Pearl Jam is still making music. It's striking how normal all the guys in the band seem, and how they all still seem to enjoy being Pearl Jam. I can certainly pick out better individual work by their counterparts in the Seattle grunge era, but there's something to be said for being the ones that were actually able to keep their shit together for this long.

Watching it, I mainly felt nostalgia about the band's music, and where I'd been in my life when "Ten" and "Vitalogy" and "Yield" were first out.

I'm also one who still, even though I own every CD, has never seen them in concert. It's one the Things To Do Before I Die list.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if it's something he pulled multiple times. My guess is it's something he did more than once.

Draft saved Draft deleted