1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam fans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

As Zeke12 knows well, I have rejected the Grunge Era and the music that goes with it. (Wokka wokka wokka!)

However, it seems Pearl Jam has stood the test of time and evolved from more than just grunge and flannel plaid.

The band's remake of The Who's Reign Over Me has me completely enraptured. Has Eddie Vedder's voice always been so agonizingly passionate?

And what other songs should I give a listen to better my knowledge of all that is Pearl Jam?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yes, except for a few years when Pearl Jam started to suck for some reason.

Start with Ten, Vs., and the latest self-titled album. That should get you going.

3. As far as covers, I'd also grab Vedder-and-McCready's gorgeous "Masters Of War" from the Dylan 30th anniversary show in MSG.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

eddie vedder has a wonderful rock 'n roll voice. i, too, lag behind in my "pearl jam" knowledge, but his stuff with springsteen in the "vote for change" shows was spectacular. 8) 8) 8)

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Pearl Jam tunes to check out

Corduroy
    State of Love and Trust
    Rearviewmirror
    Not For You
    Present Tense
    Life Wasted
    Nothingman
    Alive
    Even Flow
    Jeremy
    Their covers of Baba O'Riley, Sonic Reducer and Rockin' in the Free World
    Ghost

And try to track down the live albums they recorded in New York in 2003.....

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Thanks! You guys ... um ... rock.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You should also be able to find a live version of Pearl Jam doing "Rockin' in the free world" with Neil Young, and almost any version you find should be fantastic.

8. Bill Brasky

From You Tube....I almost had an orgasm when I saw this for the first time

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is as good a place as any to post this. This link allows you to rip the audio from another link (i.e. the YouTube video above, wink, wink) to an mp3 file. But I'm not advocating piracy! ;)

http://www.zamzar.com

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Eddie Vedder also performs the soundtrack for a movie out now, I believe it's called Into the Wild.

11. Bill Brasky

Thanks! I see great stuff on YouTube all the time (there's this great clip of the Stones doing this slow, heavy version of 'Honky Tonk Women' -- think it was recorded at a memorial concert for Brian Jones -- and one of Bjork and PJ Harvey doing 'Satisfaction' at an awards show)...always wanted to be able to put that on my iPod.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Shoot, that's better than Neil's original. Found it on Limewire.

Draft saved Draft deleted