1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam cancels North Carolina show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The UIL had that in mind (a biological male wanting to compete as a female) when it came up with this rule. It wouldn't surprise me if they simply didn't think about this possibility.

I don't know what you do. In the article I linked to on the politics thread, it was mentioned by some expert that this kid, who has had only one year's exposure to testosterone, likely ain't going to be competitive against biological males, who've been swimming in it for three or four years. It might even be dangerous, given the inherent limitations. I don't know that there's a right answer.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Oh come on. It wasn't that long ago that female wrestlers were being forced to wrestle males for lack of competition and/or a desire to try to drum them out of the sport.

I wrestled a young woman 20+ years ago who chose to step into the ring. Given that I was in the the heavyweight class that at the time spanned 190 lbs to 275 lbs, it wasn't as titillating as it might sound in retrospect, but it was mostly just another match. Males have some advantages in wrestling, but less so than in other sports since it's largely about understanding your own body and what works for your body type. I knew female wrestlers back then who would beat most of the males they competed against.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

OUTING ALERT: franticscribe is Dewey Oxberger.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We need to add a "love" or "WOW" button. Like isn't enough.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

6. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

With, what 40 to 50 gender identities? I think Obama the champion of 38 or so of them should have mandated toilet rooms for each.

7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Eh?

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Oh good, Yawn's back.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was kind of random. Like an attractive, petite woman farting loudly in an elevator.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't pretend to understand the UIL, but it appears that they don't apply the gender rule evenly. Girls are allowed to play football; without them a quarter of six-man teams in West Texas wouldn't be able to field a team. Girls can also "play up" with boys in basketball. Why not wrestling?

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You already know the answer to that one.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted