1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PC Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 4, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I got a new laptop and I keep getting a message that I have these errors in my registry file and that I need to go to this website, download and run a program.
    So I did that, but the program was a download that you have to pay for and I suspect the pop-up message is some of sort spam thing and I don't know how to turn it off or delete it.
    As a lifelong mac user, this is my first PC and I'm a little clueless with the Windows. So has anyone seen this before and do you know how to fix it?

thanks

j

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Jay, the first thing to let you know is: If you ever get a pop-up from a web-page telling you that your registry is corrupt or bad, IT IS LYING. DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

The second thing is, since your PC is new, your best bet is to just wipe it out and start over. No reason to try and repair when you have nothing loaded and stored on it yet.

Also, to reiterate the first thought... If there is a program directing you to a website and telling you to download something, chances are it is going to be a virus, spamware or just general crap. These are the things you should ignore.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    When I got my new Toshiba a few years back, the first thing I did was wipe all of the garbage programs/applications that came with it. Needless to say, it run much better. However, three years later, she's starting to get a bit slow.

Draft saved Draft deleted