1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PC gone amok, part 7652

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Unless he/she happens to be a mislaid sperm, yes.
    But also, no.
    There is personal invective, which presents its own problems, and there is the casual use of a group of people as a synonym for something of which you disapprove. One can be generally offensive, or not. The other is a deliberate -- or, worse, a heedless -- infliction of harm. And the notion that trying to take this into account in a language as rich in invective as English is somehow censorious, or that the infliction of that harm is somehow "brave," is about one of the dumbest notions that ever infiltrated our business. For one thing, it's how we end up with nitwits on our radios. They're "brave enough to say what we're all thinking."
    Bullshit, squared.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The key difference is whether the epithet is ever used with its original meaning.

"retard" can be a problem, because people do still call developmentally disabled people "retards".

Motherfucker, on the other hand, is rarely, if ever used to designate a person who actually has intercourse with their mother, so it is, in an interesting way, less offensive.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My brain is cramping up.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Could just be retarding a bit... ;)

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Wilbon's usage doesn't bother me personally, but I do find it inappropriate for a forum where a person of public importance in the sports world is holding a back-and-forth, on-the-record conversation with members of the general public, as Wilbon himself seemed to realized immediately after making the comment. Inappropriate to the level of being fireable? No, not even close. Inappropriate to the point that he be advised to refrain from further usage? Yes, and it seemed he needs no such advice.

The insult one of the chatters took does not rise to the level of "PC gone amok, part 7652" either. Maybe that chatter had a "retarded" family member and was truly offended, which would certainly be good cause for a second apology. I've done chats, and believe me when I say "valuable chat time" is a non sequitur to the Wilbons of the world in terms of taking time to apologize for a second time rather than answer maybe one more question. Terming the second apology an example of "PC gone amok" is a grand overreaction, in my opinion.

It takes quite a bit to insult my personal sensibilities, but that should not be the standard for conduct of professional duties.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here here.

This, "Oh, you're just being PC" is usually the response from some mouthbreather who just got called out for making a racist, homophobic or sexist remark.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Coming from a family filled with morons, I object to Wilbon's apology where he wants to subsitute one hateful word for another that is personally reflected in the many imbeciles I know.

I want an apology for the use of moron. I prefer the term "people who scored below the 50th percentile on accepted standardized tests."

Thank you.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ace,
    You're the most consistently funny sumbitch on this board.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So calling someone stupid by using the word "retard" is bad.

And calling someone stupid by using the word "mouthbreather" is good.

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/mouth_breather/

mouth-breather n. a stupid person; a moron, dolt, imbecile. Related: English, Derogatory, Slang
    Editorial Note: The original definition of mouth-breather referred to a person that, due to medical problems (usually with the sinuses or nose), was forced to breath via the mouth. This leaves the jaw hanging open at most times, which has a tendency to make a person look dopey or spacey.

Unreal.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thank you ... I think.

I'm not sure whether to be offended by the sumbitch part. Can I get back to you?

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Actually, Wilbon has a bit of a history of being curt/rude to chatters on Washingtonpost.com. I believe the Post's ombudsman reminded all of the Post writers to be nicer and more professional during the chats.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

As long as you're not a mathmatecian or a female dog, you should be okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted