1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PC gone amok, part 7652

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So he shouldn't be criticized for using the word in the live chat. Correct?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

... in England. I don't think it was ever really popular here for that instance.

I am not using it everyday or even using it at all. But to discount the word because it can be used as a derogatory term, just seems a bit off.

If someone said, "Is your brain stunted?" Would that be at all offensive to the mentally challenged? If it is, would it be more or less so than the word "retarded?"

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He apologized once is my point (preemptively). At what point do you stop? Should he be suspended for a week? Lose his job? You tell me - should he spend chat time later re-apologizing?

POO - what about the epithets thrown around this board? I read a lot worse than "retard" on this board. Do they bother you?

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"At what point do you stop? Should he be suspended for a week? Lose his job? You tell me - should he spend chat time later re-apologizing?"

Poin,
    I'm just trying to nail down where exactly you think this thing has gone amok. Has any of this happened, aside from a second apology? Is a second apology a sign of PC gone amok?

5. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

A great Conan O'Brien "In the Year 2000" snippet --- "Cigarettes in England will hold protests against being referred to as 'fags.' From now on, they will be referred to as 'butt pirates.'"

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We're certainly not niggardly with the criticism around here.

7. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

'Retard' is an offensive term and it's not simply politically correct to think so. The only people whom I choose not to listen to when it comes to whining about "double-standards" and offensive terms is women and feminists.

8. poindexter

POO -

I think the second apology, which was preceded by the "You used to be my favorite writer..." drama. Yes, that was the PC amok moment here. When he's spending valuable chat time having to re-apologize over (IMO) a pretty innocuous line. After preemptively apologizing in the first place.

Now answer my question please. If the use of "retard" bothers you in Wilbons' chat, do the much-worse epithets thrown here bother you?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sheer genius, there, keef spoon.

You are truly enlightened.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You're all a bunch of stunted cigarettes.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As long as we're talking about things going amok, let's talk about the tendency to label even the most modest suggestions that people treat each other with respect as "political correctness."

BTW, it seems to me there's an obvious difference between scatalogically/sexually profane epithets (asshole, dickhead, douchenozzle, come-stain, foreskin-breath) and epithets based on ethincity/religion/culture/disability/etc (insert favorite difference-hating epithets here).

12. poindexter

So its okay to call someone a come-stain, but not a retard?

Draft saved Draft deleted