1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PBS pledge drive

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn concert on here right now.

I wish PBS showed stuff like this other than during pledge drives.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Every time I feel like giving, that woman with the nails on a chalkboard voice speaks and shoots my good will all to hell.
    She was doing pledge week in Detroit and she does it here too...

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Montreaux concert?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Highlights from there and like five other shows, including ACL.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And this is why I hate PBS. The only time they show something worth watching is during a pledge drive.

They give you the, "if you'd like to see more programming like this," pitch, but they don't show you more programming like this.

They take your money, show what they want and then come back next year with the same pledge drive.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/65347/

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

SRV on Austin City Limits is beyond words. Just brilliant.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

SRV is a transcendent figure. Even people with shitty musical taste love him. Total coincidence I posted after you, ross.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I could listen to SRV all day. Especially if I put his version of Little Wing on, just mind blowing.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, that's probably about as good as it gets, but a couple of my other favorites, while nowehere near the difficulty level of LW, are Life By The Drop and Willie The Wimp.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember loving to watch "Soundstage" in the 70s when they had one with Dr. Hook and another with the Bee Gees (pre-disco). Those were two great freaking shows. Now, when I see Soundstage in my program guide it always has some act I've never, ever heard of.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That reminds me. I watch a lot of TV in the wee hours, and while most of the music infomercials suck, the "Midnight Special" one really makes me want to buy that collection.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't see this show but SRV was the man. Saw him many times back in the day and he never disappointed.

My fave SRV tune: the long version of "Texas Flood" he did at Montreux in 1982. "Rude Mood' on his debut is great too.

Draft saved Draft deleted