1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying dues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Sep 15, 2010.

1. What I've discovered is that it's pointless to compare yourself to other people based on their jobs. I've learned not to worry about what other people are doing, because it's not a true reflection of who is really better.

2. Fastball34

Fastball34 New Member

This is so true. I'm about to turn 30 and have found a job I love, which happens to be a sports editor at a 10,000 daily circ. paper where I cover prep and small college athletics. Sure I went to a decent J-school. Yes, at one point I wanted to cover major college or pro sports. But with the industry shrinking I developed an appreciation for where I was. I essentially have a blank canvas that no one tells me what I have to do with. I have freedom. I work with a small, but professional staff and don't feel overworked because of a mass number of schools. Have I had job offers from larger papers? Sure. But something lost in this whole "paying dues" thing is sometimes the best opportunities are at papers where you think you are just paying your dues. Bigger isn't always better (insert joke here). There are people I've come across at larger papers who think their poop doesn't stink (and try to act like they are big time because of they work at Big State Newspaper-Journal). While their poop may not stink, their writing and/or reporting skills do. My advice is, sure, go to a paper where you can find work but if you end up somewhere you really enjoy, don't feel like you have to leave because you think you NEED to move up. We all do something we love, which is pretty special in itself. But if you find a place where you not only enjoy the work you do, but where you do it at, you have something not many people have.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've been at the same tiny paper for my entire 10-year career. I've never really payed any dues because as a stringer you can always say no. When I was on staff I hated bowling scorers and a couple of other things, but when stuff got too political at the office I went back down to being a stringer.

I thought it was all a joke until I was laid off last January. One of the most painful moments of my life. It was when I had a great relationship with a lot of people at the paper, and it was tough knowing that what happen wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could do about it. For once it wasn't my mouth or my immaturity that got me into trouble, there simply wasn't any money anymore.

I got my job back that September and I treasure it now. Sure I only work six or seven times a month during the major sports seasons to supplement my income. It's a great gig. I pick and choose what I do and say no if I want to, who could complain?

I've been at my fulltime gig almost five years, and I've pretty much paid my last due there. You come to a point where you know you've done everthing you could to show your the best and if they don't see it -- fuck it. Since my dad died I've acquired a quiet strength (again with the mouth and the immaturity) and over the past few weeks I'm really putting my foot down. I'm on the verge of a promotion and if they don't give it to me I see it as a positive. The door is open to bigger and better things. Their loss, not mine.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm glad you believe that and have confidence about it.

It's the best and most positive way to look at things.

Just be aware that there also might not be bigger or better things around the corner, too. Nobody is owed anything, even if they have worked toward it and feel like they've earned it.

Especially in these days of the employees holding very little of the power or sway, and with the sense of desperation that exists with respect to the economy and the need for jobs, there is just as good a chance, if not a better one, that you won't move on to something better as there is that you will do so.

What you end up with could very well even be worse. Just realize that, and, wherever you are trying to go, make sure you do your best to get there by the age of 30, 35 at the absolute latest.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I happen to know this woman rather well. Regardless of where she was in her time with you, she has since had ridiculous amounts of work experience and an extremely impressive clips file. I find it rather sad that you take time to be jealous because someone you mentored is having success in our business.

This is an interesting topic because it depends so very much on perspective. I would probably be lumped into the group of those who have had success without paying what is perceived as a rightful amount of dues. But I don't feel that way. I busted my tail to get where I am and am unapologetic for it. I have plenty of friends younger than I who have had more success faster. Why? Maybe because they went to great schools, but mostly because they are absolute grinders who push and push and have more ambition than I can even fake.

There will always be young people at the New York Times and the Washington Post. Everybody has a different career path. And part of what makes those paths so exciting, or at least I thought, is that every single one of them comes out someplace different. Would you really trade yours?

The guy who gets to cover a BCS-conference team his first year out of college knows he's lucky — despite lingering concerns that he isn't well-enough rounded because he doesn't know how to keep his own stats at a soccer game. The guy who watches the BCS from home, while writing five stories about girls' basketball, wishes he could be inside his TV — but knows if he works hard he'll have a better chance of getting there someday.

But for every wunderkind working at a major metro, there are 30 of his or her classmates — waiting tables, guiding raft trips, freelancing for alt-weeklies, teaching for America — who hope there's still a way to crack into professional journalism. They pray all they put themselves through in that pursuit is merely paying dues.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I think this is a horrific stereotype. You think young people trying to fulfill dreams they've always had have less passion than bitter veterans who have taken multiple pay cuts, seen benefits reduced and have lost their beats to other young writers? Please.

There are exceptions, of course, but the most successful young people I know in this business have far more passion than any vet I've encountered. So many young writers I know push themselves when it comes to narrative writing, constantly request additional responsibilities and surround themselves with people they can learn from.

As I said, there are exceptions. But I think it's grossly unfair to say young people lack passion.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't generalize or stereotype. I merely said I detected a lack of passion from most of the J-school wunderkinds I've come across.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Without making myself look overly pathetic, there isn't much further down on the chain you could go than retail. I like the security at the place I'm in, but frankly, as long as I can find another full-time gig I'll be in a better financial situation.

That includes journalism.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

WFW. It's OK if you don't make it to the top. What paper we're at does not define us. We're still doing what we love, and there's so many people who can't say that.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

For what it's worth, I have detected this as well. Not saying all young people lack passion, but a great deal certainly do feel they're entitled to whatever simply because they're grads of Journalism U.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would not consider you pathetic-looking for being in retail.

I've been there, and, you know what? I actually kind of liked it at the time, and I'm finding out now that it was not so bad, anyway, because I've recently started in something similar, but different enough, and finding it to be worse in terms of the pay/work effort/hours ratio. So much so that, two weeks in, I'm actually considering quitting, of my own volition.

It was something I'd been quite interested in, but that, now that I'm in it, I'm fast realizing that it is something much different than I'd believed, or could have dreamed, and, so far, at least, it doesn't seem to be a very good fit at all.

I can only hope it gets better, but, to be honest, I'm not too optimistic, and it is all I can do to keep from getting down and depressed.

And actually finding something full-time these days is easier said than done. Everyone, in every business, is trending toward part-timers, and they want them to be part-timers with open availability and flexibility, essentially making you beholden first to them, and nobody else, so that even scheduling a second job, should you want to try to do that, is also difficult.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another factor is, at least in print, is there's fewer places to get started now. We know all about the Rocky and the P-I and Detroit, but there's all those papers in the Podunks of the world that were training grounds for so many of us that have disappeared as well. Yes, some have gone online, and there's always the likes of Bleacher Report, but how does that prepare you for dealing with JV volleyball parents?

Draft saved Draft deleted