1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OkayPlayer, Aug 14, 2006.

1. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

What's considered doing well in this biz financially?
    Whether you're a beat writer for a metro or a sports editor at a community paper. How much money would be considered doing well at, say, 25, 30, 35, 40.

Fairly open-ended question. I've been busting my ass in this profession for a while now and am two years from turning 30 and am finally making enough money to put some away in my bank (other than 401K). But I truly have no idea if I've just been making nothing before or if I'm actually doing well. Compared to my friends who studied business, I'm making what they made years ago. Though I'm happy with where I'm at.

Does that make sense?

2. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Someone posted on here once that you should be making more than your age. That seems to be a good benchmark.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't wait until I turn 99 ... six figures, baby!

4. ogre

ogre Member

F that. So I have to wait till Im 50 to make a decent living? It may be the way it is, but that sucks.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't buy it. You're telling me you shouldn't be upset if you are 29 years old and still have yet to crack the 30k barrier?

If I had to give a general rule of thumb, it'd probably be

Age + $10,000 = Dollar figure at which you should be reasonably happy considering the business you are in.

25 = $35,000
    30 = $40,000
    35 = $45,000
    40 = $50,000

Anything lower than those numbers and you're probably behind the curve. Anything higher and you're doing better than most.

Again, just a rough estimate.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm not quite making my age, but I'm doing a lot better than I was a few years ago.

7. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

I think that is interesting. How'd you come up w/ that estimate?
    Next q, how many SportsJournalists.com floks could say they are making that pay?
    Podunk Press doesn't seem to quite pay age+10K. ???

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think it's a lot harder to make that money -- $10K over your age. If you're 22 and fresh out of college, there's very little chance you're going to make $32K. I've moved around a lot in the Southeast for jobs and raises, but only until I sold my soul, left dailies and took up with a niche paper, could I say I'm making $10K more than my age.

9. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

floks
    Oops. But I kinda like it. Flok!
    Nice cuss word.

10. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

I guess it depends on where you live, too.
    I mean, I made next to nothing at my first stop and was OK. Move to a big city, made about 5K more and struggled.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

One guide I have heard is a comparison to what teachers in the local public school district make with similar experience. That would usually, though not always, give an idea what a reasonable minimum cost of living is. It might not be appropriate for papers with circulations under 25K, but I would think it would be a good guideline for any papers which are middle sized. If it's too far below that, some thought is required.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

But the question was more of a prestige question rather than a practical question. Unless I read it wrong, he was asking what dollar figure would be considered "Making good money."

If you're 22 and making $32,000, I'd say you're making decent money. But I know 22 year olds making a decent amount more than that. And I know 22 year olds making a lot less than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted