1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pay rates for first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Jeebus.............I made $5.72 an hour my first year, which was less than $12,000 for the year.

I'd hold out for $25,000, if you have the degree or whatever.

Fuckabuncha suits trying to tell you anything else.

You have a degree. They will try to screw you, as they always do.

Hold off, then ask what their salary range is. Then ask for something up near the top.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in NJ, got my first job start of my junior year of college, part-time about $16/hr. 30-35 hours a week at a 65k daily. Worked out to about $25k/yr part-time while still in school. Got a raise after less than a year.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Everytime I see the phrase "unpaid internship" I remember the words of my college journalism professor "Lincoln freed the slaves! Never take an unpaid internship. They're just using you as free labor. You need to protect yourselves and get paid for your work"

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

thanks for the advice guys and keep it coming...

i have to say 20,000 would be hard to live on anywhere, but I'm sorta getting lucky with my location. It's 30 min away from my old university and all my friends still live there so I can pick up a sublease for real cheap.

Also luckily for those people in the state of michigan it is state law to reimburse for driving 38.5 cents per mile.So at least we got that goin for us.

5. No, but it happens. A friend of my started at a 7k daily in news and is making 27k a year and I started out at a paper I'd worked at before, a top 55 daily, and I am making good money. We both graduated in May. So it happens if you have the right skill set and resume (and sometimes a little luck doesn't hurt either). Going into reporting takes the chances of this down by a lot, the desk route usually pays a little higher and it is easier to start at bigger papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted