1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pay rates for first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 28, 2007.

1. spud

spud Member

There would be almost no incentive for this job if we all didn't have this attitude to some degree.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You are right... its just too bad there isn't a little more money out there. I'm not asking for the lap of luxury. But under 20 k is hard to live on if you cant still live with the parents. Or find 3 roommates.

3. Pi

Pi Member

I started out at $16K at a thrice-weekly in BFE. Paper went 5-days after six months, yet I did not see a 66 percent salary increase even though my work load increased by that much.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It can be done, as many on here will attest. Just be sure to leave plenty of room in your cupboards for ramen, Easy Mac and Choco Smackers imitation brand cereal.

In answer to your question, it depends on your experience, but I'd say very little chance.

A 2K daily? Uff-da. I started out at $9/hr. at a 3K weekly, and even moving to a daily paper more than twice that size didn't get me above $20K. You should also consider the cost of living in the area when discussing salary ... $18K goes a lot farther in BFE than, say, Chicago.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

God damn. I both love and hate these threads and stories.

On one hand, they make me feel a lot better (I work weekly, make 23.5k-ish, hourly w/ ample paid overtime, good benefits and a cool boss.)

I did a lot of interviews across my state two years ago, and the worst I was offered was 19k. The furthest, most distant and depressing job I was offered paid 20k and stressed they were flexible. The biggest town I was offered (six day daily) offered 19k, then very begrudgingly went up to 20. A twice-weekly in a small town (not the worst part of the state, but still far from great) offered 24 straight up, but I went with the weekly, the 23.5 and the opportunity to live in a major (?) metro area.

So what sucks about this thread? I'm getting ready to piss and moan that I need raise, and you're all blowing away my perception that I'm the worst-paid writer in the world.

But enough about me. If I were you, I'd really really push for 20k. Maybe that isn't possible, and you should probably be ready to take the gig no matter what, but I'd REALLY push for 20.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

super, take it and run

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Hey Snuka, suck a big fat one...

...and then have a cold one on me, if I can scrounge up the change. Awesome.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Go ahead and drop that deuce, Jimmy.

You'll be able to afford a pair of pants or two at that rate.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i start fresh entry-level reporters at $22k plus $50 a week auto allowance (they use about half that much gas) at a 6k small daily in texas. can make about another grand in bonuses throughout the year. it's not a gold mine but seeing some other places and seeing someone hoping for $20k makes me feel a little less like an asshole. i'd pay more if the publisher would quit pocketing so much.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

First job: 6K-circulation, six-day P.M. in the rural midwest, paid $22K. Kicked ass, got a raise to $25K after a year, got out about a month later and moved on to a <i>much</i> better situation.

Keep your head up, kid.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hold out for 20K.

Then bust your ass and keep your resume current.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

My first newspaper job was stringing for the hometown paper for free. No matter where you start, it just takes a little hard work to improve your position each step along the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted