1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay cut for new job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1GreytWriter, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First off, if you are in the US, $200 to slightly less than $300 depending where you are is below minimum wage for FT work. It is illegal,for them to pay you that little. Second, if you think you're burned out now, wait until you work 70 hours a week for a startup for under minimum wage.

Keep the newspaper gig for now and see if they're willing to hire you on a PT or a freelance basis for more experience.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You could accomplish $300 a week by selling 30 dime bags - and you could do that in less than one work day and have six days to yourself....

3. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

Well I'm not 100% in the right direction, but I got some good news today about the job at the college I applied for. My dad went to the school and has stayed involved in the athletics program (he works in a different industry full-time, though, so this was just on a game day basis), so he knows someone who works there and encouraged me to reach out to her. That person was able to find out who in the communications office is hiring for the job I want and she forwarded my resume and cover letter over to them. (I applied through their online system before e-mailing this person.) I hope having that personal connection, however small, gives me a leg up.

I'll be 30 in the middle of next year, and I'd like to be out of my current job before then. Yes, I work with people over 30, but not many, and I don't want to end up stuck, still working nights and weekends when I have other things I'd like to pursue.

4. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

Fair Labor Standards Act, FYI. Read.

Draft saved Draft deleted