1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Ryan in Esquire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Back to education. How can you reform schools when administrators, teachers, and parents can't agree on what makes for a good education. Helicopter parents arrange meetings with the principal if their kid doesn't get As, even if they really deserve Cs.

Teachers, even the good ones, don't have the energy to be a de facto parent, which is required more and more with more kids coming from single-parent homes. Administrators are hamstrung by countless government rules and union rules that prevent effective reform. Even parents who want to help have to work harder to keep making wages that don't keep up with inflation. Back when I was a kid, a lot of moms stayed at home, which meant they were available to help out at their kids' school. That doesn't happen as much anymore.

I haven't talked about the challenges kids from poor rural or inner city areas face, and money can't fix those issues by itself.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The picture they took of Paul Ryan for that article looks like he belongs on a Kraftwerk album cover.

Then, he and Tucker Carlson had a great mano-a-mano trying to out-douche one another.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Exactly. A million things affect how a person (whether it is a child or adult) learns and many ways to teach in the classroom. One idea in vogue is "active learning" ie, group projects, presentations etc. When I was a student I HATED group projects: too cumbersome, difficult to get everyone to work at the same time etc. I loved lectures, but that isn't cutting edge apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted