1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Konerko: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know it seems crazy at first blush. But the guy is going to reach 400 home runs this year by age 35. He has a good chance of being the A.L. MVP if the White Sox win the Central to add to his World Series ring. He's never been a DH.

The question isn't: Is Paul Konerko a Hall of Famer if his career ended today? It's: Can he become one with another three or four productive years?

To me, he might end up being the kind of guy you don't think about as a Hall of Famer until he retires, then you look at the numbers and realize what an outstanding career he's had. Might end up being a Blyleven type, with momentum building for years after his retirement.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'd argue he's been the most underrated player ( his great defense is overlooked even more than his consistently very good numbers) in the league for years now. But I'd have a harder time arguing he's a HOFer, and he's my favorite player. I think he's as good or better than many current Hall of Famers, and many considered future HoFers. But he's never been a significant part of the public's consciousness, and, unfortunately, the system is set up to reward that sort of fame. Perception over production means he'll never get in.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

If so, that's three future Hall of Fame Dodgers traded away in my lifetime. Pedro Martinez, Mike Piazza and Paul Konerko. Imagine if they were on the same team together at one point.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If Konerko makes the HoF, I will kill myself.

No offense, YGB. :D

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It depends at least in part on how long this late-career resurgence lasts. He looked like he was fading when he hit .240 at age 32 in 2008, but had a solid 2009 and put together arguably the best season of his career in 2010.

I think he has to get to 500 home runs to have a shot.

Hell we've got people here who question Jim Thome, who is closing in on 600 home runs with a career OPS that is 100 points higher than Konerko's (.962 to .859). I get that Thome has been helped by the DH and he was never the defender that Konerko is, but that doesn't make up for the huge gap in their offensive numbers.

If Konerko doesn't reach 500 home runs? Or if he just barely gets there? Ask me after Jeff Bagwell gets in. Bagwell was a superior player to Konerko in every way.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not in a World Series way.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And the Reds decided to keep Sean Casey over Konerko...

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm going to say no.

But it is getting closer by the year.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

as of this moment he's another guy headed to the 'hall of very good,' and at his age it's difficult to imagine him having enough hof-calibre seasons left. he's never finished higher than 5th in mvp voting, is 'only' a four-time all-star (just trying to gauge where he's been ranked among peers at his position).

another example of a player i'm not intending to 'bash,' by any means, but i do believe that some consideration goes to how a player is regarded compared with others at his position at the same time. i don't believe anyone has ever regarded him to be a superior all-around force than mark texiera, for instance. in the majors overall during konerko's prime, you've got pujols, miguel abrera, adrian gonzalez, and no doubt others i'm forgetting who i believe are all consider superior to konerko, which will make him a very tough sell.

but the guy certainly has had a career to be proud of, with a few quality seasons left in his tank. i suppose if he gets to 500 homers his hof credentials will be somewhat fortified, though i don't think 500 homers is the automatic it once was.

and reaching the 500-mark will be a very tough chore for konerko now that post-35 players are returning to the downside level they had in the pre-steroids era.

konerko is a player whose career numbers probably surprise most folks 'cause he sure doesn't pass the litmus test for me and most others. which is when you're given his name and asked, 'hof?' your immediate reaction is, 'are you nuts?' and there's something to be said for that. for me, anyway, a legit hof'er doesn't 'sneak up on you.'

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The perception problem I mentioned earlier is due in large part to lazy members of the media. Jumping on a bandwagon uses less muscles.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As a fellow White Sox fan, I echo this.

Konerko just happens to be playing in an era where there are a whole lot of great first basemen (Pujols, Texieria, Cabrera, Howard).

But yeah, between Paulie and Frank Thomas, the Sox have had great production at 1B over the past two decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted