1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patton to Colorado: C-U Later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 26, 2006.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Re: Patton to CU: CU later

Wow -- what a horrible thread title.

But yeah, Patton needs to get out of Boulder. Now that he's got a year, he's got time to get a better job.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He landed Chauncey Billups. Richard Roby is pretty good.

Beyond that his teams were never really competitive in the Big 12.

That's a tough place to win in hoops. Or anything else these days.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Patton's done his time there, and Colorado's been up or down. Gosh, he's been there since when I went to KU. Seems like forever ago.

I just wish he never would have landed Chauncey Billups. When KU gave a scholarship to a 7-foot kid from small-town Kansas, rather than have him walk on, that meant only one scholarship was left. Roy Williams said it would go to Billups or Ryan Robertson, whoever decided to accept first. Robertson took it. By the time Billups decided he wanted to come to KU, it was too late.

Oh, and that 7-foot project? Never played a second in Allen Fieldhouse due to chronic back problems. Billups would have made a difference for that 1998 team, matching up against Cuttino Mobley or Tyson Wheeler, both of whom simply killed Robertson all night in that second-round loss.

5. Norman Stansfield

I think I remember watching Billups almost single-handedly destroy the Jayhawks one of his first seasons at CU. Correct me if I'm wrong, Oz...

Oh, and just out of curiosity, who was that 7-foot stiff project? I'm a college hoops junkie; I might remember the name.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if he did, especially because those Robertson teams weren't quick on the perimeter. Mobley and Wheeler would drive right the guards if they played up, and they just pull up for a mid-range jumper if they sagged back. Same applied to Billups.

Oh, and that 7-foot stiff was actually 7-2, looking back. Travis Williams was the name ...

http://mobile.ljworld.com/news/1994/apr/20/travis_williams/

... Glad Roy felt the need to sign that kid and not Billups. He got the ACT score, went to KU, threw out his back and never recovered from it.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

So, did that 7-footer never pass his ACT or what? I can't believe I'd never heard of him.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I agree. Should've been "C U Next Tuesday."

9. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Isn't the AD there a clown who hired Bozo to be football coach? How embarrassing.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe Terry Dunn will leave Dartmouth and go back to Boulder now.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Patton was the dean of Big 12 coaches. 11 years. Barnes is next at nine years.

12. Norman Stansfield

I was just reading Katz's blog on this deal.

CU's SID found out Patton was quitting 30 minutes before media day started when he went into the copy room and found a 15-page resignation document still sitting in the machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted