1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriots Win Suit to Get Ticket Sellers' Names from StubHub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 18, 2007.

1. KoM

KoM Member

Thread bump because I just read where some assholes were busted for scalping World Series tickets outside Fenway.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I'd personally like to mail all online ticket brokers a sack of dog shit for Christmas because that's what they deserve.

Am I the only one here that's ever tried to get tickets for a "sold out" event only to find thousands of them in the hands of scalpers for triple or more face value?

I applauded on the desk the other night when I first read the wire story about the Pats going after Stubhub, and it pisses me off that MLB actually signed an "official partner" agreement with them.

Scalpers are scum preying on honest fans (sports, music, shows, etc.). It's no different than gas stations fixing prices.

To me, there is a big different between a season ticket holder selling tickets to a game he can't make or to a certain series for a modest profit and an entity that buys tickets at face value with no intention of ever going but gouging people who honestly want to attend the event.

(sidebar - yes, ticket prices should be cut across the board by the franchises/leagues. The owners/players can make $20 million instead of $30 million and let the poor schmuck that makes 30K a year in for $15 and buy a beer for $3, but that's another rant.)

Many NASCAR tracks actually issue tickets with the holder's name printed on them. They send their people out with cops a certain radius around the track busting scalpers. Anyone whose name is printed on the ticket is taken off the list of people who can buy for the next event.

I actually get pleasure out of yelling at scalpers going into the track on my way to cover the race. When I see two guys standing within five feet of each other - one holding a sign that says "Need Tickets" and the other a sign that says "Tickets For Sale" - I roll down my window and say "Hey, why don't you two cock suckers get together, make a deal and get off the street?"

In Europe, they take it seriously. I went to Euro 2000 and had my name and address printed on all my tickets. I had to show my passport with name and photo to make sure it matched. You also went through three and sometimes four check stations to make sure the match tickets weren't counterfeit.

End of rant. Sorry if it offends anyone. Agree. Disagree. I don't care. Each to his own opinion. Ticket scalpers are no more than daylight thieves.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Went to Euro 2000 as well, even though I had the passport at the ready I was never asked to show it at any of the five games I went to.

3. KoM

KoM Member

In Rotterdam and Arnhem I had to show it. In Belgium I didn't. One match was Italy v Turkey, and they were checking everyone.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They're thieves because they buy something, then sell it at market value?

Draft saved Draft deleted