1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriots latest: P. King on Spygate; Mike Vrabel 'classless'?; Harrison on FSR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 10, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Steinbach's a whiny yotch.
    As for all these media types pounding on the Pats, to quote the great philosopher Dwayne Johnson: "Just bring it."

2. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Who's "pounding" on them? It's another Straw Man for guys like Tom Curran and Bill Simmons to pat the Pats on the back. Columns like King's are rare.

Now, as for Mark McGwire in the Hall of Fame...no. And not because of juice. Because he wasn't that good. Batted over .300 only twice, and had more than 100 RBI less than half his career. Neither is Hall-worthy for someone who only brought his bat to the table.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It is odd that in this 24-hour media age where ESPN talks ad naseum about absolutely fucking nothing that this story disappeared so quickly.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

That's the only reason I can figure why the league ordered that all the evidence be destroyed. That whatever was on the other tapes would've inflamed the story and given it longer shelf life. They knew destroying the tapes would draw criticism, but at least then there'd be no more hard evidence for the press to discover and the story would soon die. Which, with the exception of Peter King, is largely what has happened.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Two things that I can't figure out. First, how can they trust so quickly that the Pats gave them all of the tapes? This is an organization which obviously has been breaking the rules for years.

Second, why wouldn't the league interview current and former member of the Pats staff in connection with their analysis of the tapes? The best way to make sure that cheating doesn't happen in the future is to figure out how it happened in the past.

Simmons has proven to be a typical fanboy on this -- the media is against us, Mangini is a fink, etc. He was actually rational about this for a couple of days before reverting to type.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Who do you think that respected club official in King's column was?

I'd bet money it was Mr. Bill Polian.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

RBI is one of the most useless stats in Baseball.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

How do you know they didn't?

Nobody knows about the investigation, so I think it's pointless to assume what took place.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: Patriots latest: P. King on Spygate; Mike Vrabel 'classless'?; Harrison on

Seriously? You might be the first person I've ever heard say that.

10. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Re: Patriots latest: P. King on Spygate; Mike Vrabel 'classless'?; Harrison on

Blue font?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I should have said overrated not useless.
    You can't control what the people do in front of you or if pitchers will pitch to you in certain situations. There is a reason Bonds RBI totals aren't as high as you would think they should be.
    I may be overstating it a bit but if your on a team that does not get on in front of you or your not pitched to how is that your fault.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Based on the statements quoted in the TMQ column, the time between the tapes being sent to NFL HQ and their destruction was 4 days. I think that a reasonable person would think that their wasn't an extensive analysis performed or interviews conducted during that period of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted