1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. Keep Pounding, Patrick.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

The greatest 34-year-old junior hockey player who ever lived.

[​IMG]

Hang tough, Derek Sutton. :)

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Floating stools -- I wish I were being a smartass.

The pancreas loses the facility to properly deal with fats.

God bless you, patrick. You made some unforgettable fucking movies and made a lot of people happy.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Not all pancreatic cancer behaves alike. If Swayze's with us for another two years, he's got a better-behaved one than my father had - about 10 months from first symptoms to death (on his 69th birthday).
    However, my cousin, in his late 50s, was diagnosed in summer/early fall '07. Saw him at my brother's wedding two months ago, and he looked good. Says he feels good, too.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not a good sign.

Although, it could be merciful.

Him talking about the bloody flux made me ache.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's always seemed like a tough-luck kind of guy. He was "the next big thing" then nothing, finally broke through with Dirty Dancing and Road House, then the plane crash, and now this.
    My top five Swayze moments in no particular order. Red Dawn (the scene with the blood of the deer was awesome); Road House (be nice, until its time not to be nice); Saturday Night Live with Farley (an all-timer); Uncommon Valor (lines directed at his character "Boy, you just bought the whole can of whoop ass; Boy, you usin' that oriental martial bullshit on me's gonna get real expensive" and "You don't ever quit, boy. Not when it's for real! ") and a tie between Youngblood and the underrated Waking Up In Reno with Billy Bob Thornton and Charlise Theron

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Also awesome in the two "North and South" miniseries.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... checked himself into the hospital this morning due to pneumonia.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/01/patrick-swayze.html

As I recall, my dad (throat) had pneumonia shortly before he died. So this may be the death knell.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not good news at all on Patrick Swayze.

He and Dennis Quaid were both in that mid-1980s mantle of vying to become a "new leading man" on the level of a Harrison Ford...and, instead, Kevin Costner became that guy for a while and then Tom Hanks took it over completely.

What I find fascinating about Swayze is that, upon looking at his body of work, if you ask 100 men about Swayze and 100 women about Swayze, you'll get completely different answers about which are the best movies:

Women will say "Ghost" and "Dirty Dancing".

Men will say "Red Dawn", "Road House", "Point Break", "Youngblood".

Maybe both genders would point to the ABC mini-series "North & South".

He's gender-polarizing, like Eric Clapton is in music. Women only think of "Tears in Heaven" or "Beautiful Tonight" while guys think of his kick-ass days with Cream or "Motherless Children" or "Cocaine".

I'll always believe this about Swayze. The guy had SERIOUS range as an actor. He could dance a salsa, make Jennifer Grey moderately attractive, kill 120 Soviets, lead the South in the Civil War with a bum leg, skate in the Canadian junior hockey league, be Ronald Reagan as the "Ex-President" bank robbery gang...and even dress in drag.

This may be blasphemy but Swayze would kick Tom Hanks' arse any day...

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Had? He ain't dead yet.

And I'm looking forward to The Beast.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good point, Flash.

I, too, am looking forward to The Beast.

Draft saved Draft deleted