1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Kane rape investigation dropped by DA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shame on me then. I'm usually the first to complain when people take positions based on other people's uninformed opinions and there I go joining in.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It certainly made them make sense. But based on the information the public knew, they certainly seemed credible, regardless of the accused. She left. She called a family member. She had a rape kit performed. She reported the incident to the police. Every indication was that she believed she was raped. Much different than, for example, Derrick Rose's civil accuser.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The accusations against Bill Cosby made over the years all seemed credible, too. But Cosby's reputation was such that they all got dismissed or swept under the rug for the better part of three decades.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

MC, I agree Kane will be just fine in life because of his stature and wealth. But to say this whole saga hasn't damaged him and his reputation, at least a little bit--that's batshit.

Some people will consider him a rapist for the rest of his life.

5. MisterCreosote

Even his most ardent defenders still admit he's a giant douche.

So, maybe his longstanding reputation caused this, rather than this "harming" his reputation.

This was never a fall from grace. It was more like, "well, this was bound to happen sooner or later."

6. Dick Whitman

He was asking for it.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. cranberry

"This" meaning being falsely accused of doing something horrendous followed by some scumbag leaking the allegation to the media? Sure, bound to happen.

8. MisterCreosote

If it's good for the goose...

9. Dick Whitman

I started watching the interview with Frank Sedita that a Buffalo television station had last night, and it's pretty good. He hinted that text messages by the alleged victim cast doubt on her story.

In today's Tribune, David Haugh is pretty critical of Sedita's release, because he thinks that the tone will discourage other women from coming forward with legitimate accusations. I think he makes a good point. Sedita provided no details to back up any of his assertions about the supposed inconsistencies. He just wants us to accept them. He even made Cambria promise not to reveal what was in the further report.

Some discretion much needed in Patrick Kane maturation process

10. cranberry

It's not. That's the point.

11. Dick Whitman

I want to know if they had sex. I am pretty sure that a rape kit can detect the presence of lubricant.

12. Dick Whitman

Sedita also said something along the lines that Kane is "developing quite a reputation" in Buffalo, and he chastised him for being out at 4 a.m. at a bar, with his high profile.

As much of a moron as he's been in the past, I'm not sure Kane did anything wrong here. He brought two women and a friend back to his place to hang out after closing time. I've done that multiple times, at his age.

Draft saved Draft deleted