1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 5, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Agree with the sentiments here. Does a memorial of him belong in Canton? Sure. Does he? No.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I agree.

We're going to be seeing a lot of guilt-tripping over that war.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I cannot express how hard I laughed at this.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with the others. There are thousands upon thousands of men and women from all walks of life who have made sacrifices in times of war, in this generation and others. There are other places to celebrate their heroics.

If Tillman is voted to the HOF based solely on off-the-field accomplishments that have nothing to do with the sport, it would seem others deserve that same respect in their former fields.

Better to keep the two aspects of his life separate.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Best way to honor Tillman would be to not put him in the Hall of Fame. He didn't do what he did for accolades.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Sure, and while we're at it, the HOF should also put in the handicapped guy from the Oilers who ran out and got the tee after every kickoff and the black Dallas Cowboy mascot.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's a slimy feel about the way the NFL and the Bush administration have attached themselves to the Tillman story in a "he's our guy" way. Neither his service nor his death nor his memory should ever be treated as a PR opportunity. Tillman represented Tillman.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you were writing a book about a millionaire NFL player leaving the sport while still in his prime to join the Army and protect his country against terrorists, I doubt you'd end it with him getting killed by his own men.

Not exactly going out in a blaze of glory.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Name an award after him. Put a statue of him up at Cardinals Stadium. Put a memorial up at the HOF for all of the players who have died defending this country. Name it after him.

The guy is a hero. But induction as a player? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Definitely not a HOF'er.....

speaking of the HOF, why are there so few defensive players inducted? There are twice as many o-lineman than linebackers? Considering the old adage "defense wins championships", you'd think there would be more love for them

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. So I won't.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Will you let in Bob Kalsu?

Draft saved Draft deleted