1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Summitt stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dyno, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of women's basketball, but she's a giant in the sport and helped pave the way for a lot of women to get their education and even for some to earn a living at playing basketball. She's a hugely important figure in collegiate athletics.

2. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Ditto.

On both counts.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She should be mentioned in any discussion of great basketball coaches. A giant.

I hope her future years go as comfortably as humanly possible.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Pat Summitt was everything a coach should be: empathetic, a good leader, tough and successful. She's a champion in every sense of the word.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Meanwhile, Geno keeps going. Anyone still believe in the existence of a benevolent god?

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

She is truly a class act. She didn't even cuss me the time I nailed her with a bathroom door she was standing on the wrong side of at a high school game! I hate it for her. As mentioned above, what she has done for girls basketball in our state is immeasurable. And yes, at least in our area, girls high school games outdraw the boys.

You knew this was going to happen, especially as the season wore on when you could see it and especially if you had any insight with the program to know that it was worse than public appearance. Then, a week or so ago when Mikki Demoss left, it was a tell that it was in the works and Holly Warlick was getting the job.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Exactly. Why would Mickie take a presumably massive paycut?

It's a sad day in Big Orange Country.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd argue it's the end of the Big Orange sports era that I grew up with...what could really only be called by UT fans as the Golden Era, beginning with Ernie and Bernie and Ray Mears and Johnny Majors and Condredge and Jimmy Streater, through Wide Receiver U and Fulmer's early career winning percentage, and 107,000-seat Neyland, Peyton and Al Wilson and John Ward and Todd Helton and Chamique and, of course Tee Martin's National Championship, the Lady Vols' unbeaten season and string of NCs...all the while Pat Summitt was the epitome of class and winning and Tennessee.

With her goes an era that I fear will not be matched by my alma mater.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Women's basketball wasn't even a sanctioned NCAA sport when she started.

I also hope she has a peaceful next few years...but boy, Alzheimer's shows no mercy.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mickie had to have known before she stepped down. Holly Warlick was doing the job of the head coach in a postgame presser I saw after the Baylor game, which is one of the few things that didn't make the Pat Summitt announcement an even bigger shock.

All the best to Pat. From the way things have been announced, it seems as if they're doing little more than playing musical chairs with titles. From the sound of things, Pat will get to keep contributing as she sees fit and having Warlock run the program officially will allow for a smoother transition for all. At least we can hope so ...

Draft saved Draft deleted