1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Passed away"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the fop, Jun 1, 2009.

1. the fop

the fop Member

Apologies if this has been addressed here recently, but I'm curious: I'm seeing "passed away" in place of "died" all over the place lately, including on the AP wire. Has AP style on this changed? I remember profs banging away at this in college; people die, leave the euphemisms for others. Thoughts?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rule hasn't changed as far as I know. It's more likely a combination of laziness and news outlets laying off/phasing out a lot of the people who used to give a damn about that kind of stuff ...

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, journalism passed away.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Worse is when the head just says "passed" or "passes."

Why are people uncomfortable using the word died?

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I think it's because we're becoming a fact-repellent society. Facts are facts. But it seems they're being paired with qualifiers and other phrases and whatnot, as if to 'be nice?' Dead. Died. Is dying. WTF does pass away mean. Pass away to what? Death.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At least they didn't used "expired." Always makes me think they're talking about milk ...

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Think I mentioned this the last time the subject was discussed, but a local serviceman died early last year from wounds he suffered in Afghanistan. Huge news in our small town, of course. The local daily ran the story at the top of A-1 with a "[soldier's name] DIES" hed, and absolutely got the crap ripped out of them by people who felt that it was "insensitive."

Dunno. Maybe it's just me, but if I'd just lost my husband/father/coworker, I think I'd have more serious issues on my mind than how the story looked in the newspaper. Would "passes away" have made the news any easier to bear? Not on my planet.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Because of the wussification of America.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate the phrase "passed away."

I prefer "has gone to be with Jesus."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"bleedin' demised"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"has moved on to the heavenly mansion"?